HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Round Up ready Crops (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/126272-round-up-ready-crops.html)

Bryan Tomlinson 12-24-2005 11:55 AM

Round Up ready Crops

What are the R.R. Crops that are avialable? I need to do a couple years of weed control and would like some ideas on what to use.

Iron Archer 12-24-2005 06:29 PM

RE: Round Up ready Crops

There is R R soybeans and corn as well. I also read that in 2006 there will be a R R alfalfa but I imagine the seed cost would be very high.

Good luck.

RonM 12-26-2005 06:52 PM

RR is a Monsanto trademark, other companies have bought some of the patent rights, but I would stay with DeKalb or Asgrow corn and soybeans, and plant the beans in narrow rows, if you have a 30 inch row planter come back and plant the middles, I suggested that to Farm Hunter last year and he tried and had great success with it, he might even plant closer rows this year, try different things see what works....

farm hunter 12-26-2005 10:05 PM

Ron's advice is good - 15" rows for soybeans are great - 30" for corn

Below is a short growingseason's progression - 2005:

FH

chufapro 12-28-2005 02:44 PM

that's all great advice, pics are awesome....somebody put in a bunch of hard work. There is also RR sunflowers but they are hard to get. on the soybeans you can also plant the checkboard(like an X), instead of spliting the row. when the beans comes up it looks like a checkboard. helps with weed control it shades out the weeds with the canopy. we do it on the farm..instead of drilling sometimes...good luck

Bryan Tomlinson 12-28-2005 09:31 PM

I don't have a drill for soybeans. Can I improvise with soemthing? I like the idea of beans but planting them will be kind of tricky. Anybody got any ideas?

yeoman 12-29-2005 11:39 AM

I've had good success broadcasting beans. Best results come when I plow, disk, wait for weed germination, re-disc shortly after rain, broadcast seed, lightly disc or pull harrow to cover seed, then cultipack. I've had awesome luck some years even without any herbicide.

Good luck.

Coyotestalker 12-30-2005 10:25 PM

ORIGINAL: yeoman

I've had good success broadcasting beans. Best results come when I plow, disk, wait for weed germination, re-disc shortly after rain, broadcast seed, lightly disc or pull harrow to cover seed, then cultipack. I've had awesome luck some years even without any herbicide.

Good luck.
I always harrow my seed in after broadcasting. Easier on any cotyledon or seed coat that is greening. For both my farm, nursery, and food plots, harrowing the seed in will help level out the field, and helping a more even form of sprouts.