HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Roundup or equivalent (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/126131-roundup-equivalent.html)

sean600classic 12-23-2005 07:14 AM

Roundup or equivalent

I understand theRoundup patent is expiring, allowing other manufacturers to make the same(or similar) product. This obviously should lower costs to the end users. Whatdoesa Roundup type product cost to use per acre. We have the application equipment, just budgeting for the raw material cost.

bawanajim 12-23-2005 08:32 AM

RE: Roundup or equivalent

Round up cost us about $125.00 per 2.5 gallons.It all depends on how concentrated you mix it.Some weeds require a heavyer dose.But it is well worth it.

1sagittarius 12-23-2005 07:16 PM

I bought a generic 41% round up (glyphosate) 2.5 gal delivered for about $68. I use 1 qt per acre to kill grasses, and up to 2 qt per acre to kill broad leaf weeds better. I also use 1/2 pint per acre in my white clover fields to just knock back the grasses with-out killing the clover. ;)

so cost per acre on average .... $7 ( $2 - $14)

chufapro 12-30-2005 06:50 PM

smart man, i say go with the generic...we use it on the farm, works just as good with a lot less $$$

Wooddust 01-01-2006 11:56 AM

It expired 3-4 years ago...

Coyotestalker 01-01-2006 12:29 PM

Got a trick for you guys. If you use generic glyphosphates or even Roundup Pro, and you can't kill sedges and bulbous weeds( both Glyphosphate and Roundup cannot kill certain sedges fully because sedge is not a grass, and many forms develop tubers or bulblits that hinder the herbicide), use halosulfuron mixed to the appropriate water needed. If Manage(halosulfuron) doesn't appeal to you, you can buy chemicals like Finale, which is a glufosonate and can replace the use of glyphosphate, of which can effectively kill and manage sedges, broadleaf weeds, grasses and certain shrub-like weeds that Roundup or generic glyphosphate cannot kill effectively. This will not create a toxic medium, since being a topical agent for foliage application, and breaks down very quickly after the plant has died. I can see the weeds die within 1-4 days, where glyphosphate can take up to a week. Just to let you know, there are more effective herbicides on the market, so you don't always have to just buy glyphosphate or the Roundup family.

psandhu 01-04-2006 09:37 AM

I go to the grain elevator here in town and buy generic Roundup. It's called Glyphomax or something like that. $52 for 2.5 gallons, 41% gly.