Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

I'm I Doing The Right Thing?

Old 12-26-2005, 05:12 AM
Spike

Default RE: I'm I Doing The Right Thing?

You may want to talk with Neil. He mentioned he is leaving and movingon to something better than Biologic. I spoke with him in Oct and he couldn't tell me much but I know by now he should be able to talk more. I thnk it had to do with the Biologic contract.

I know he was excited.

Good luck with the plots.

O
Old 12-26-2005, 09:33 AM
Typical Buck

Don't forget to soil test all fields.

Old 12-26-2005, 05:26 PM

Soil tests are very important with chufa and peas. For chufa it needs to be between 5-7. Chufa likes sunlight and responds well to fertilizer. Be sure to plant it after the last frost.Its some pretty cheap chemicals out there to help with weeds. Let me know if I can help. Good Luck!
Old 12-27-2005, 01:47 PM

Thanks guys for the advice. Soil testing was done, PH level is at 6.5. Decided not to Plant the BioMaxx since its $90.00 a Bag for one acre. Most of my neighbors are farmers and they already plant corn anyway, so decided from all the posts i read to give the deer a little varitey.

Going with 4 acres of Biologic Premium Perennial, 2 acres of Imperial Power Plant, 1 acre Plotspike Chufa and already have an 3/4 acre of Imperial Clover that was planted in the fall but didn't take well due to a drought. Plant on picking upone 2.5 lb. bag of Biologic Maximum to mix with that plot by frost seeding in April.

Looks as if I'll also be planting 87 hard & soft mast trees in the spring.

Seems I have my work cut out for me this year, hell, hope the wife never finds out how much all this stuff is really costing! LOL
Old 12-27-2005, 02:17 PM

One word of caution about the chufa. Make sure you plant it in anarea with loose loamy or sandy soil or else the turkeys won't be able to dig it up! Good luck, it looks like you have lots of work to do.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:04 AM

The Biologic Maximum will grow 4-6 feet if planted in spring, it may crowd out other plants with its large leaves and shade. You'll love the results after a frost, but you do not want to mix it with other seed.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:50 PM

Thanks Criggster, the soil is a loamy ~clay mixture, see turkey diggingthe soil now just for the natural vegetation, so hope this work at approx. $100 an acre.

Sean, the maxium will be planted with the clover, so things should be fine.

Man, I need to start working overtime. Wife bought me a new camera for x-mas, a Canon Digital XT Rebel with two lenses and a bunch of other accessories since she knows I want to get into photography of the wildlife on the property. Love her to death, but Like I mentioned earlier, she has no idea how much these plots, trees, etc, is already costing us. LOL. Calling the boss, I need OVERTIME!!!
Old 12-29-2005, 02:07 PM

Gr8rally - sorry that it took me so long to get back. I've also read Dougherty's book and have had a visit from him on my property. The property is located in Delaware County,NY. What county are you located in? Hope to talk soon.
Charlieb
Old 12-30-2005, 07:53 AM

Hey Charlie, no problem. Property is in Tioga Countyn near Binghamton. Just about finished the book myself. lots of good information. One question if you don't mine me asking, how much did Neil charge? What size is your property and did he provide anymore insight on your plans for the future on the land that you didn't already gather from his book. Reason is that I may call his office as well for an visit. Plus I might take one of his tours, but if I have him visit the property, don't think the tour will be neccessary unless I want to actually see his work. If you don't want to post the amount, can you email me with it. Just want to see if I have the funds for the visit. Take to you later Charlie, Rod.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:14 AM

GR8RALLY - send me a personal email to discuss Neil's visit.
Charlieb

Quick Reply: I'm I Doing The Right Thing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.