" />

Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Apple Trees..What to plant in PA??

Old 12-14-2005, 02:32 PM

Default Apple Trees..What to plant in PA??

I'm interested in planting apple tree's, that I'll purchase from The Arbor Day foundation. What kind of tree's do you plant for deer and the wildlife?? My planting area is in the northwestern part of PA. Thanks.....
Old 12-14-2005, 06:35 PM

Default RE: Apple Trees..What to plant in PA??

I've planted several types of apple trees on my property for the benefit of wildlife. I did a lot of research and found that Granny Smith Apples are the last apples to ripen, so I planted a Granny Smith tree for late fall. I also planted crabapple trees for both the turkeys and deer. The crabapples should also ripen late in the fall. Keep in mind the different sizes of trees; dwarf, semi-dwarf, and standard. The name says it all. I got the standard trees becauseI wanted a tree that would grow to be big, and produce more fruit per tree. The smaller the tree the quicker it will bear fruit, but it will yield less fruit per tree.

And, just to keep the deer happy during the summer I planted a Wolf River Apple tree. I don't know if the deer will be able to eat the Wolf River apples though, because they are supposed to grow to huge proportions. I may plant a few early apples later for the deer to eat during summer. I think the Yellow Transparent is one of the earliest to ripen, but with late frosts I am afraid the blooms may not survive. Unless youonly want to order from the Arbor Day Foundation you should check your state forestry department and the NWTF for cheaper seedlings. Good Luck.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

The attached chart may be helpful in your selections. Try to select varieties that will give an extended harvest period:

http://www.pickyourown.org/apples.htm

Dan O.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is the Site I used:

http://www.sln.potsdam.ny.us/

I liked the idea of COLD Hardy apple trees (Zone 3 Hardy)- and I also liked the OLD VARIETY trees as heirloom trees for my kids someday.

Don't buy trees from WALMART - some might be OK - but you just don't know for sure the variety of for what Zone it was grown for. I've planted a couple over the years, and the smaller - cold hard trees will pass them in growth after just 2 years.

The Arbor Day foundation may be a bit expensive - but a good cause. - make sure you know the zone each tree was intended for - or don't buythem.

FH

Old 12-15-2005, 05:36 AM
Fork Horn

http://s142412519.onlinehome.us/uw/pdfs/A2105.PDF

You need two apple varieties for good polination, but even a nearby crab apple tree will work. Consider the later ripening applevarieties for deer food. Disease resistant varietys (Jonafree, Nova Easygro, Liberty) do not require spraying like store bought apple varieties to produce well. Standard trees will grow larger than semi-dwarf and dwarf and be less susseptable to deer browse, but take longer to produce apples. If you are in bear country.... bears will distroy small apple trees when they start producing apples.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:15 PM

Hey Guy's, thanks for your input. I may purchase my tree's from other resources other than AD. The zone I'm in is 6.Also, I've heard that Walmart tree's are no good!! Anyway, I'll do some more research, and be ready for spring planting!!
Old 12-19-2005, 05:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

There is a company in Mich. or Minn.that used to addvertise in the PA sportsmans magazine.I bought 20 trees from them they all lived I am layed up right now(back surgery)but I have the address at my office if you pm me I will get it to you ASAP.these trees are grown for wildlife and you get a variaty for a very low price.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:36 AM

How long does it take for an apple tree to grow and begin to produce. I'm in Louisiana and was thinking about planting a couple to see if the deer would come to them. Just wondering how long it would take.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:07 AM

Most apple trees should produce a few apples within four years. But, this will depend on the size of the tree, type of the tree, soil, sunlight, drought, etc. I planted several crabapples and a couple standard trees as mentioned above, and we had a drought the follow two years, so they should be a lot bigger than they are know. But, I've got patience, everyone of my neighbors are logging their land so I'm giving the deer a buffet to eat.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Figure 10 years for apples -at least up here.

Sure - some might start in 4 or 5years - but apple trees have to be prettygood sized (unless dwarfs - which deer anihalate) before they make much fruit.

I planted Mine when my kids were 8 & 9. Now I'm wishing they were 2 & 3 whan I planted so we could all enjoy them more - but I glad I got them in when I did.

Quick Reply: Apple Trees..What to plant in PA??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.