Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Fencing plot

Old 12-14-2005, 09:28 AM
Typical Buck

Default Fencing plot

Has anyone ever fenced a portion of a food plot? I'm planting corn and beans to leave standing in my field this Spring and am considering installing a low fence around a small area near my primary stand. The idea would be to discourage the deer using that portion until they have finished with most everything else. Even though they could jump the 4' fence, I doubt they would do so until most everything else is gone. I'd remove the fence in the first week of December just prior to the secondary rut and during a time when bucks are replenishing reserves from the primary rut. Anyone ever done this?
Old 12-14-2005, 03:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Fencing plot

They will jump a 4' fence like it wasn't there if they want what's on the other side.

POP
Old 12-14-2005, 06:50 PM

If you are trying to repel the deer try using Plot Saver instead. You will have to try one of three other methods to discourage deer from jumping a fence. Make it at least six feet tall, build one fence than another four feet and parallelof the first one, or angle the fence so they won't try to jump it. It would be easier to use Plot Saver.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not one for fencing off food plots. Its too much like baiting tome. I know its splitting hairs - but I like the idea of planting food plots to benefit the herd - the bonus being to take a deer at some point.

Fencing offa part of a plotmight work tomakemore food available at the "right time of year", and if you can feel good about it - then I guessgo for it.

FH
Old 12-15-2005, 03:33 PM
Spike

Plot Saver?????? I've seen it work once in person but heard mixed results. Nonereal positive.There are quite a few posts about it on this site over the past couple years. It would be a good idea to read them. (I don't know howto access past posts on a topic)I would have trouble recommending it as the "be-all, end-all".
Old 12-15-2005, 04:41 PM

Yeooomannn, Have you heard of Liquid Fence? I used it this summer on my food plot, and kept the deer at bay for 3 months. It's a liquid you apply with a spayer. It comes concentrated, thenyou mix with water. You spray once, wait one week, spray again, then spray every two weeks. Now I'm in PA, where I haveseveraldeer on my 100 acres. IT DID WORK, AND I PLAN ON USING IT NEXT YEAR!! Good Luck!!