Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

something to plant in the woods

Old 11-16-2005, 08:51 PM

Default something to plant in the woods

Looking for something i could maybe plant into the woods as a source of food in the winter to keep deer in the area. Any kind of berries, nuts, or shrubs that deer like to eat?

Not looking to plant trees here, they take too long to get big enough to produce. Its just that there are no acorn producing oaks in this particular woods for the deer to eat at, so I want to introduce something else. Any ideas?
Old 11-17-2005, 07:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: something to plant in the woods

On our land in northern Minnesota, we've had great success with planting crab apple trees. their fairly inexpensive,grow much faster than regular apple trees, and the deer go crazy for them, especially Nov- Feb, or until all fruit is gone. Another shrub we've been experimenting with is called a carnuga(sp?) bush. It's also known as the siberian pea tree. it's a shrub that will get about 6' high and will spread it's growth out in time. The pods that are produced are kind of like big green beans. We've had them 3 years now, and the deer go nuts for them until all pods are eaten. We've also done plots of carrots, rhutabeggies with great success. Taz
Old 11-17-2005, 08:19 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: tazimna

On our land in northern Minnesota, we've had great success with planting crab apple trees. their fairly inexpensive,grow much faster than regular apple trees, and the deer go crazy for them, especially Nov- Feb, or until all fruit is gone. Another shrub we've been experimenting with is called a carnuga(sp?) bush. It's also known as the siberian pea tree. it's a shrub that will get about 6' high and will spread it's growth out in time. The pods that are produced are kind of like big green beans. We've had them 3 years now, and the deer go nuts for them until all pods are eaten. We've also done plots of carrots, rhutabeggies with great success. Taz
Got a link for those Siberian pea trees ? They sound interesting and I'm also looking for something to plant in a wooded setting .
Old 11-17-2005, 12:38 PM
Fork Horn

the plant I referred to is spelled "caragana". If you type in "siberian pea tree" under a search engine, you'll get plenty of results and seed connections/plant descriptions/etc. Happy Hunting. Taz
Old 11-17-2005, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you don't have oaks why don't you try Sawtooth oaks? They grow quick and yield at an early age. Otherwise you could try Huneysuckle.

Is it possible to create a clearing to help seedling or coppice growth?

Dan O.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:22 PM

if there are no oaks or anything at all id go ahead and plant a few of them too for future generations........also maybe some chestnut...they produce in i think about 7yrs....

Old 11-17-2005, 09:45 PM
Fork Horn

I don't know if they'd grow up north where you live but muscadines ( vining grape) might be a possibilty. Of course I live in texas so i have no clue if they would work up there. Also it would not be a winter food source. Just throwin a suggestion out there.

Old 11-23-2005, 08:29 AM

crabapple would be great food for the deer in the fall.

Plumbcreek has seedlings for sale,all kinds. give them a call and they will set you up.they are also cheap with there trees.

1-866-894-1072
Old 11-23-2005, 09:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Tazimna , I ordered some of those Siberian Pea Tree seeds , if I don't kill all 15 of them before the deer have a chance to sample the goods I'll write a review of them later . Many thanks !
Old 11-25-2005, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

How much sunlight do crabapple trees need?

Quick Reply: something to plant in the woods

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.