Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Ever kick anybody off a lease?

Old 10-18-2005, 08:41 PM

Default Ever kick anybody off a lease?

Wildlife management also involves people management, and I was wondering if anyone has had to kick someone off a hunting lease? Does it ever go well?

I've had to kick several people off a hunting lease over the past several years for various infractions of our hunting rules and for just plain not fitting in with the group as a whole, and the offensive party always seem surprised when it happens.

As the landowner and manager, this is most disagreeable thing I have to do.

Please share any thoughts or experiences you have on the subject.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Ever kick anybody off a lease?

Had a few of them that were kicked out and a number of them that were not invited back to the club. We had one a couple of years ago that shot 3 small bucks and blamed it on his 6 year old son.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:52 PM

You have a tough job. Over my career as a wildlife officer, I had the opportunity to meet with hunting clubs in many States. Your situation is not abnormal in the least.

Explain the rules up-front; have all members review the rules and sign an agreement every year; consider setting up a small disciplinary panel of ethical members to review and render judgements on alleged infractions and other forms of misconduct (so you don't always have to be the "bad" guy or "messenger"; and communicate with all members on a frequent basis - especially if someone is canned (lets other members know there isn't room for misconduct and violators will be removed from the club - no surprise if it happens to them). Some clubs made a point of inviting State and federal wildlife agents to drop by unannounced during the hunting seasons - kinda keeps folks on their best behavior regulation-wise.

Good luck - kicking someone out of the club may not be fun, but it is necessary at times. And don't think you're doing something unfair to them - they did it to themselves and you're just following up on the terms of the initial agreement to their becoming and behaving as a member.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:54 AM

Ya, these idiots ran around on ATVs shooting everything that moved. It was on a farm taht we leased for hunting, they got kicked