Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Clover Question

Old 10-06-2005, 08:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Clover Question

I picked up a new lease of about 700 acres that is pure river swamp flat bottomland. There are 6 food plots on the area. I don't think a cereal grain mixture will work well unless it stays dry. Would clover work better in that kind of soil? I'm thinking about a white/crimson blend.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:40 PM

Default RE: Clover Question

It is unclear what your goal is waterfoul or deer or turkey? What ever the other food plots are, go with that.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:55 AM

Clover will not do well in poorly drained soils
Old 10-07-2005, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Timbercruiser; if it doesn't flood every year you should be OK. Otherwise you still should be able to plant smaller high areas that drain well. Clover lasts long enough that it's worth putting in extra effort.

Dan O.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

It probably floods every year, but I don't mind planting each year. I'm just trying to put in some plots that will graze deer from about Nov. 21 through Jan 31. The plots havn't been planted in two or three years and you can't tell what was used before. The area is very flat without ridges on the majority of the property. Very wet natured soil.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

timbercruiser; the attached link offers a nice breakdown of the different plants recommended in different moisture areas. It might give you some ideas for alternatives to just using clover.

http://www.ernstseed.com/Pricelist/SeedMixtures.htm

Dan O.
Old 10-08-2005, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

timbercruiser; I was going to suggest that you might want to try some Bird'sfoot Trefoil. It gets flooded on my property every year and grows well. BUT; it doesn't seem to be a big deer draw. They eat it but other crops like clover are more attractive. Check the link below. It might work in your area.

http://www.wildlifeseeds.com/info/aeschynomene.html

Dan O.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:58 AM
Fork Horn

Birdsfoot trefoil and Alsike clover have thehighest tolerance to wet spring, lower PH type soils. Both do very well in northern climates, MN, WI, MI, PA, NY.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:35 AM
Spike

TC, IF YOUR AREA IS RIVER BOTTOM AND YOU CAN GET THE PH TO AT LEAST 6.3, CLOVER WILL BE YOUR BEST OPTION. WE'VE DONE TESTING ON JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING AND IN OUR SOILS THAT HOLD MOISTURE, THERE'S NOTHING THAT GETS CLOSE TO CLOVER. IN FACT YOU ARE LIMITED TO WHAT WILL WORK BECAUSE OF THE MOISTURE IN THE SOIL.

THE CRIMSON CLOVER IS, IN MY OPINION ONE OF THE LOWEST CLOVERS FOR USAGE WE TESTED.IT LOOKS GREAT BUT THE DEER DON'T EAT IT, MUCH.

I HAVE HAD THE BEST LUCK WITH THE IMPERIAL BRAND OF CLOVER. IT SEEMS TO BE MORE HEARTY AND SO FAR MY BOTTOMLAND PLOT HAS LASTED 3 YEARS. IT DOESN'T FLOOD BUT IT STAYS WET NEARLY ALL YEAR.

I KNOW IT'S A FEW DOLLARS PER ACRE HIGHER. THE LAST TIME I PRICED IT, THE COST WAS ABOUT $5 PER ACRE HIGHER THAN THE OTHER PERENNIALS BUT FROM WHAT I'VE SEEN, IT'S BEEN WORTH MUCH MORE THAN $5.

AGAIN JUST MY 2-CENTS. HERE'S WHERE I ORDERED IT. http://www.whitetailinstitute.com/products/

CALL THEM AND THEY CAN TELL YOU IF IT WILL SURVIVE THE FLOODING.

O
Old 10-09-2005, 07:53 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: otismyman
I HAVE HAD THE BEST LUCK WITH THE IMPERIAL BRAND OF CLOVER. IT SEEMS TO BE MORE HEARTY AND SO FAR MY BOTTOMLAND PLOT HAS LASTED 3 YEARS. IT DOESN'T FLOOD BUT IT STAYS WET NEARLY ALL YEAR.

I KNOW IT'S A FEW DOLLARS PER ACRE HIGHER. THE LAST TIME I PRICED IT, THE COST WAS ABOUT $5 PER ACRE HIGHER THAN THE OTHER PERENNIALS BUT FROM WHAT I'VE SEEN, IT'S BEEN WORTH MUCH MORE THAN $5.
huhhh? Only $5 more per acre? Where are you getting it that cheap?

I bought 50 lbs ladino this spring for $112.50, or $2.25 per pound, dutch white was the same price. At 8 lbs per acre, thats $18 per acre.

Just saw Imperial Whitetail Clover online 50 lbs for $260(free shipping), or $5.20 per pound. At 8 lbs per acre, Imperial costs $41.60 per acre.

At that rate, Imperial costs $23.60 more per acre than Ladino or Dutch white clovers.

Quick Reply: Clover Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.