Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Box elder problem

Old 09-28-2005, 02:57 PM

Default RE: Box elder problem

ARSENAL in a 25% solution will work great. Using a hatchet, cut one hack at chest level at a downward angle and squirt one squirt for every 3" tree diameter at chest height. When cutting, be sure to leave the piece of wood attatched to the tree so the chemical doesn't run down the bark. I use an old 409 bottle - works great.
Old 09-30-2005, 03:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was going to knock them down with the chain saw and apply roundup But now have decided to try the frilling method. That way I can leave them rot in place or remove them at my leisure. Thanks for the great tips. By the way is 24D a name brand or?...........dabow
Old 09-30-2005, 07:58 AM

I happen to be in the brush control business so hopefully my advice is based on real world understanding.

You have a couple alternatives to explore. I assume you do not have a restricted use permit.

1) Cut trees and treat stump. Your local coop will have or can get a product called Tordon RTU. It is not resticted and is formulated for cut stump treatments.

2) Basal Bark: You can buy a product called Crossbow. Read the label and do EXACTLY what it says in the Crossbow+Diesel Basal bark section. Basal bark involves spraying the lower 15 inches of the trunk all sides and any exposed root surfaces. This can be done any time of the yaear except when you have snow cover and will kill the tree.

Round up will not work effectively or consistantly. Arsenal would be the LAST thing Id ever use, its made for control of woody underbrush in pine plantations or in special situations ahd has many drawbacks in the hands of an amature. 2,4-D wont work.