Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Tractors

Old 09-22-2005, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tractors

There are many good, clean, low hour, used tractors around, and the Thrifty Nickel classifieds would be a great place to start looking. I have owned 5 tractors, and only one was purchased new. I found every one of them in classifieds or on the internet. I have had 3 John Deere's and currently have two Kubotas. In the 30-40 hp range, I would look at the Kubota Grand L series. I currently have a 1996 Kubota L2900 4x4that I traded for last year. It had 313 hours and was/is like brand new. It is a 30 hp tractor and is tough as nails. Mine does not have a front end loader and really wish it did. I also have a Kubota M5700 4x4 cab tractor thatwas my first tractor to buy new.The 5700is the tractor that I use to put in my food plots and have a 6 ft tiller for it.I havenever owned a cab tractor until now, and I amalready spoiled from sitting in theA/C with a radiowhile mowing or tilling around my place.

MyJohn Deeres were great tractors as well, but it alot harder to find a "deal" on a green tractor. I might own a Deere again someday, but I truly believe that you get more tractor for your dollar with Kubota.

Good luck with your search.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:48 AM

I have a Kubota L3000DT w/FEL. For the money it's hard to beat. I know the newer L3400's look better and have some added nice features. I have been very happy with my Kubota. Let's see for $15,000 I got a Woods BB60 brush cutter , 5' box blade and 5' disc's. Don't forget FEL . Not bad when you get to looking at used prices!!!!!!!!!!!!
If i was buying again right now I would probably look at the L4400 or JOyhn Deere 950 (i beleive) they are both in the 44 HP range. Mine is 32 and trust me it is strong enough. I just wish i could run a bigger hog thats heavier duty!

You can sometimes find implements in the paper or auction at a pretty decent price. I bought a 14" single moldboard plow for $100 bucks at auction. No way i could have touched it for close to that new!

I am still trying to find a reasonable priced spring toothed harrow and rock rack.
I have a little less than 300 hours on mine and trust me they are addictive!!
I know you live in LA stone cold so another post soon will probably be about trailers.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:08 PM

Last year I bought a used 1971 John Deere 2010 38 hpTractorand it has been nothing but trouble. I have spent alot of money just to keep this thing running. It overheated, burns oil,replaced a front tire, battey,hydraulic pump went out causing the horse power to decrease when using the bucket. I use it for bush hogging,moving round bales and recently, putting in a new food plot.I am sorry I didn't buy anew kabota.A usedtractor is not like a used car, You really have to work a tractor before you find all the problems with it. My two cents.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here are some links that might help:

http://www.machinefinder.com/

http://www.ironsearch.com/IRONSearch/content.aspx

http://www.fastline.com/Default.asp?bhcp=1

I wouldn't worry too much about buying a used tractor. Used is definitely the way to go if you don't want to spend a lot of money you don't have to. Most used tractors are decent machines and most dealers are reputable. Attending a farm auction might save you even more $$$, but you have to be a little more careful about studying the machine.
Old 09-30-2005, 03:56 AM
Fork Horn

Two years ago I bought a 1960 minneapolis moline M5 gas for $2200, 60hp, hydraulics, Live PTO, Cat 2 3pt hitch, wide front. Hydraulics are a bit weak, buy they operate the lift on the plow and disk. Bought a 11' double gang, (36 disk) disk harrow in pieces for $100. Cleaned up and painted some parts, reassembled it with 1/2 new wooden bushings for another $250. Last fall I purchased a 3x16" tow plow on eBay for $25, in South Dakota. Picked it up when we went out pheasant hunting. The tires on the plow were rotted out, but the plow looked like it saw very little use and was in great shape. Plow and disk work great and are fun to use.

Ifyou are looking, take your time, attend farm auctions, ask around. The more remote the area, the better deals you can get. The closer to major cities, the higher the prices and lower availability. Seems alot of people want small tractors to work 5 to 40 acre properties. The smaller older 30-35 hp tractors seem to be at premium prices like ford 8N's. Often you can get larger 60hp used tractors for the same price.

Old 09-30-2005, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

GO used, you can find great deals, I bought a 1949 AC WD. It had the WD-45 engine upgrade. picked it up for $1500. Then got a bush hog for $250. The next year I got a 2 bottom plow for $300 and a 7ft tandem disc, new, for $395, 3pt mounted type. I haven't had any problems other than a few flat tires from the Locust bushes on my property. Am looking for a 2 or 4 row planter now. IMO, a tractor will out work any atv anytime, anywhere, and for less money.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:59 PM
Dominant Buck

In 1967 I bought a new Ford 2000 with a 3cylLucus diesel engine and 6' Bush Hog, 24" two bottom tandem disk, double plow,6' grading blade, and PTO post hole augerfor less than$6000 and soldall of it together last weekfor $4000. I used it for 38yrs for less than $2000.

Look around and you will find a good deal.

Old 10-01-2005, 01:43 PM

Yesterday I purchased a used 2001 New Holland 45 hp tractor with 187 hours on it plus a bush hog out the door for 15,800. If I had bought the same tractor new it would have cost me over 20,000. Buying a used tractor is the way to go if you aren't using it all the time. i to bought mine to mow my fields and put in some food plots. Good luck with your purchase