Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Did I lime it enough?

Old 10-02-2005, 08:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Did I lime it enough?

You may also want to check out Imperial Whitetail Extreme, it can tolerate PH as low as 5.4 I think. I've experienced a similar situation, clearing out a spot for a small food plot in the woods. When we started, the ph was 4.5. The food plot is really small, maybe 25 yards X 20 yards. We used about 600 lbs of lime and that wasn't nearly enough.
All the decaying wood from dead trees adds to the acidity of the soil. If you see ferns popping up, then most likely you need more lime.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

You made a good start - and it will be interesting to see if the Brassicas grow well.

Soybeans, Rape, corn, Turnips, and even some clover will grow in acidic soils of 5.0 - 6.0 - and pretty well at that.

Our soils are so HEAVY and ACIDIC that I would go broke trying to manage the soil for 7.0 on all of it. We plant the areas that test 5.5 -6.0 - and lime only the plots we put clover in. We cannot grow alfalfa at all.

The soil test we have done suggest 8 tons/acre lime (soil was avg. 5.0 -5.5Ph) - We've never put 1/2 that down - and had some really nice clover plots. Remember - most of the soil tests suggest the lime needed to get the soil to 7.0 ! You can get by with much less for most crops- just check it every couple years.

FH
Old 10-13-2005, 01:23 PM

You can't put too much lime in a plot.Lime is lime is lime, doesn't matter if it is bulk or pelletized, use therecommended amountsno matter what type. You didn't tell us the length of your plots, you need accurate measurements to calculate how much lime to apply. Fertilize according to soil test. Give the type of plant when sending soil sample and the lab will recommend the proper amounts of N, P, and K. Most seed companies recommend 300 - 400 lbs of 13-13-13 and 2 tons of lime per acre in absence of soil test. Top dress with fertilizer after 60 days of plant emergence. Lime enables plants to utilize the nutrients in the soil, helps break down organic matter, and does not affect the taste of the plant. Studies indicate that deer are more attracted to plants that have been fertilized, this includes natural browse. However, without the proper ph, the plants can't utilize the fertilizer and you waste money. Up to 90% of the fertilizer will be wasted if your ph is not good. The closer to neutral the ph (neutral soil will test 7.0 ph), the less fertilizer is wasted. Either spend the money to buy enough pellitized lime, or, better yet, improve access to your food plots so that a truck can come in and spread the cheap stuff, saves money in the long run. Another alternative is that some coops and seed stores have small trailerable lime spreaders that you can either borrow or rent and spread the cheap lime.

"Let the small bucks grow, shoot a doe!"