Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Food plots are done!!

Old 08-22-2005, 06:47 AM
Spike

Default Food plots are done!!

I went out yesterday and got my plots done and cleared some new trails on the farm that I hunt.It has ust got finished raininf real good here so that will help the plots.It started on 8-16-05 when my freind who owns the farm disked up the areas that I wanted to plant,then I sprayedthe plots with roundup that night.I did it this way because he didnt like to use hebicidesbut come to find out that spraying roundupis his plan for next year.Then yesterday I started on clearing the trails and my freind started to seed all of the plots,after he seeded them we went over the plots to cover the seedwith some chain link fence with a pallet on top for weight.I used my grandfathers steiner tractor to do the trails and to cover the seed in the plots.That tractor is a trail making sun of a &*$#^ I have some pictures of us doing the plots and a few from my enclosed blind if somebody would post them for me.

P.S. the plots are buck 1/2 forage oats,1/2 either secret spot or full draw.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:09 AM

Default RE: Food plots are done!!

If your friend done a good job of discing, you waisted your money by spraying roundup that same day.

Good luck on your plots.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:44 AM
Spike

There was some green in the plots after he disked so I thought it was good insurance.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:53 AM
Spike

Well I went out to check on the food plots that we put in and they are just starting to come up.I am syched we have not had any good rain here since last monday but we are supposed to get a few days of rainthis week so thats good.The only problem that I see is that the turkeys keep dusting in the feilds [:@],ow well I guess that is another reason to take a few this fall
Old 08-29-2005, 06:54 AM

pictures????
Old 08-29-2005, 07:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Dang turkeys usually pick our four or five of ours to tear up. They usually wait for the seed to start sprouting and than pick the seed pod off. We will probably start planting in aout two weeks if it dries off enough. We have about 62 plots to plant this year so it will take about 3 weekends.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:00 AM
Spike

I have pictures but dont know how to post them,I will try to figure it out today
Old 09-01-2005, 08:57 PM

I gota get mine in , in a few weeks,as soon as I get my tractor fixed. transmission problems.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I guess you could say I got mine dusted in LOL, we need rain bad, Maybe tonightor tomorrow, we have a pretty good chance.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:23 PM

Last year, I put out seven plots relying on a forcast for rain, well, it was almost 7 weeks before it rained, and hardly any of it came up. This year I had all my seed, and all my plots plowed, disked and limed, and on the night of the 13th we finally started getting rain. So I was out till 10 o clock that night sowing seed in the beams of the kc lights on my jeep in the rain. Sinc then we have gotten about 2 inches of rain on them, and a possibility of more tomorrow, so hopefully they will be good this year. Good luck to you all with your plantings.

Quick Reply: Food plots are done!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.