HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   What to do with the soybean plot???? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/109682-what-do-soybean-plot.html)

ostdc 08-21-2005 09:44 AM

What to do with the soybean plot????

What should I do with the 3 acre bean plot after it freezes out? Should I leave it standing and let the pods burst on their own, or should I mow it with the brushhog to break them up? Half and Half?
Brian

Hunter06FlKy 08-21-2005 12:01 PM

RE: What to do with the soybean plot????

one way or another the deer are going to eat it and just letting it stand takes less work.

RonM 08-21-2005 12:13 PM

I would leave it alone for rabbits and birds , the deer might still get some food from it......

farm hunter 08-22-2005 09:30 PM

I shot my only buck of the year last year- in mid December with a late season black powder tag - - eagarly eating the soybean pods in about 16" of snow.

There weren't any wasted beans in the plot we had.

Maybe we could have seeded it overwith rye as an option in late sept. -- but I don't think it was needed.

FH

ostdc 08-23-2005 07:04 AM

I ran right over my soybean plot with the graindrill last year planting rye and the deer hammered the rye. But the soybeans are MUCH better this year after proper inoculation. I'd post a pic if I knew how.
But I know how deer come into a bean field after it has been combined. So I thought I'd ask what you guys thought is best.
Brian

answerguy 08-23-2005 07:29 AM

ORIGINAL: ostdc

I ran right over my soybean plot with the graindrill last year planting rye and the deer hammered the rye. But the soybeans are MUCH better this year after proper inoculation. I'd post a pic if I knew how.
But I know how deer come into a bean field after it has been combined. So I thought I'd ask what you guys thought is best.
Brian
If the soil is good enough for soys I would suggest winter wheat instead of rye.
Leave the soys standing as much as running them over with the grain drill will allow.

ostdc 08-23-2005 08:17 AM

Like I said, the beans have done much better this year. I don't think I could go over them with the grain drill without tearing them right out of the ground.
I just wondered if I should mow them to break the pods and scatter the beans or leave them standing and the pods whole.
I'm leaning toward leaving them standing.
Brian

answerguy 08-23-2005 08:41 AM

ORIGINAL: ostdc

Like I said, the beans have done much better this year. I don't think I could go over them with the grain drill without tearing them right out of the ground.
I just wondered if I should mow them to break the pods and scatter the beans or leave them standing and the pods whole.
I'm leaning toward leaving them standing.
Brian
You should getyour first frost around October 1st , right?
As close to two weeks before your first frost wait for a rain and right before broadcast WW into the soys.

ostdc 08-23-2005 09:17 AM

October 1st would be great. Up here, our first "expected" frost date is Sept 15. The weatherman predicted spotty frost last night. I don't know if it froze up there or not. I sure hope not.
I may go out and broadcast some ww.
Brian

1sagittarius 08-25-2005 03:25 AM

Leave the beans standing through the winter, re-work the plot in spring.