Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

how much round up

Old 08-20-2005, 07:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: how much round up

I have used 80 oz to 25 gallon and sprayed with my fimco sprayer wide open and travel 6 mph. Most of the grass I spray is about 2 foot tall. I believe I read on the label 20 oz to acre but believe on first time plots where you have nothing but weeds then over kill is what I shoot for. After my plot has been established I have cut my rate back. just my 2 cents and seems to work for me.

volume 0.5% 1% 1.5% 2 %
1 gal 0.7oz 1.3 oz 2oz2.7oz
25 gal 1 pt 1 qt 1.5qt 2 qt

on difficult to control weeds it is recommend a 2 % solution sprayed so it would be 64 ozs in 25 gallons for a 2 % solution.

now I am gonna make it more confusing. after reading furtherthe recommendations for control of weeds the label reads, apply 2-3 quarts mixed in 10-20 gallons per acre.this is whereI got my rates from.On my last batch of round up I mixed 100 ozs which would be approximately a 1.5% solution in my 25 gallon tank. I spray using my fimco sprayer full open at7 mph on the speedometer and got approximately 2 acres sprayed. I got excellent results from this.

hope this helpssomeone out.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:02 AM

No wonder you got excellent results. 100 oz divided by 3200 oz (25 gal.)= 3.125% solution! Should have killed EVERYTHING!
Old 08-21-2005, 06:10 PM
Typical Buck

oddly enough, some areas the kill was great and in some areas it didn't look like I had sprayed at all with only minor wilting after 1 week of 100 degree temps.

I used 25 gallons on 2 1/4 acres. b/c I want to apply 12 gallons an acre, to make a 2% solution I must add 64 oz.(2 qt). If I double the gallons then I must double the concentration right, making 25 gallons with 128 oz (4 qt) of glyphosphate to keep the2 % solution. I ain't no math genious but thats where I came up with the 2%. I guess I am confused.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:47 AM
Fork Horn

The Teejet website has a handy spray calculator.

http://www.teejet.com/MS/TeeJet/support2.asp?ID=75

But if you calculate for application rate, you first need to know 1. Your flow rate per nozzle in gallons per minute. 2. speed of your sprayer miles per hour. 3. nozzle spacing on boom (20 inches is standard for foodplot type sprayers)

1. You simply measure what comes out of one nozzle for one minute. I fulled the tank with water, turned it on, and used one of my wifes 2 qt. tupperware measureing containers. I measured 20 oz/min, then checked each nozzle to make sure they were the same.

2. To check speed, you measure off 100ft, and time yourself in several gears, and a fixed RPM, if you can. I did this on my riding lawnmower too, was not hard. Recalculate for MPH miles per hour. Teejets website also has a page with conversions.

3. Most small boom type sprayers are designed for 20" spacing between nozzles, this depends on the nozzle type and pressure at which it is used. Height is adjusted to be about 20" above the tops of what you are sprayingto get good coverage.

Useing the above formula, and my sprayer, in second gear I can very accurately spray precise mixtures ... such as Ed Spins(sp) 1/2 pint glyphosate per acre in clover to kill grasses. My 5 nozzle boom, 35 gal sprayer, sprays 20oz per minute (0.1563 gal/min), with 20 in spacing, in second gear traveling at 2.27 miles per hour .... will spray 20.42 gallons per acre.

I mix 1/2 pint 41% glyphosate to 20.4 gals water to kill grass in clover .... 1 qt. glyphoste per 20.4 gal water for average total burn down ..... or up to 2 qt per20.4 galfor large tough weeds.

If you are using a hand sprayer, 2.5 oz per gal of 41% glyphosate.

I have know idea how tomeasure spray rate/coverage with"boomless type" spraynozzle setups.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:27 PM

Not offended....just after 30 years in the weed business, it sometimes pains me greatly when people who buy herbicides do not bother to read a lable then invariably in out internet world post things on how the product didn't work.....didnt mean to come off testy.