Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

PUMP SPRAYER HELP

Old 08-15-2005, 07:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default PUMP SPRAYER HELP

Okay, I sprayed all my plots and now need to put up my sprayer for the season. I ran clean water through it after I sprayed with roundup. What is the best way to keep my sprayer in good shape for next year. What do you do after you spray? I have heard run antifreeze through it or ammonia. thanks
Old 08-15-2005, 09:05 PM
Spike

Default RE: PUMP SPRAYER HELP

I've heard of neutralizers that you can wash out sprayers with to destroy any remaing poison. But I'm not sure of the name of any. For the winter just make sure there is no moistur left in the hoses so that when it gets cold out ice does not form in the lines. Beyond that theres not much else you can do. I seem to not have much luck with pump sprayers in making them last though. I no plastic is lighter but they don't seem to last like they use to. I just by the chepos now and don't care when they brake.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just run cleanwater through it - and put it up so any left in the tubes does not freeze over the winter and break the hoses.

I oil the pump - (pto pump) and pull it fot the winter.

FH
Old 08-16-2005, 06:16 AM

I just renise it and run fresh water through it and then hang it on a nail by the spray nossel so all the water runs back down the hose.this also keeps the hose stright.
been doing it this way for years with no problem.still have the same one for 5 or 6 years now.
I have one for posions for bugsand one for weed killers and brush spray.try to never use the same one for both. some of the weed killers just want wash out.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:01 PM

antifreeze will do a nice job of maintaining your pump diaphram and seals. That assumes you have not run a xylene based chemical anytime through it if it does not have Viton seals.

Lots of the small cheap ATV units are sold with a pump that does not have Viton seals and diaphram. If they dont, then some chemicals will degrade the seals and next spring you will have pump problems...in any case run a bit of old styleantifreeze through it