HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Atv Plows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/106990-atv-plows.html)

bspencer 07-28-2005 01:37 PM

RE: Atv Plows

im looking for something that can tear up the ground rather good without any other help besides being pulled beind my 4x4 ATV......dont want to spend a few hunded on buying one.......... basicall build something I can add wheels too and be able to pull it up into the woods up the hillside and remove the wheels and start ripping the ground up

Hunter06FlKy 07-28-2005 01:46 PM

you might look online for plans and everything. you should be able to find some i would think.

psandhu 07-28-2005 02:25 PM

about how many acres are you planning on planting, and what is it like?

a few years ago i cleared out a field that was overgrown with brush, saplings and trees up to 12 years old. i had a 35 hp tractor with a boxblade that had scarifying teeth, a bush hog, and a chainsaw. to get several acres done took me an entire summer. the hardest parts to get rid of were roots and stumps. remember, there were probably 500 saplings in this area beforehand. i don't think any kind of atv gizmo will have enough gumption to clear out that land.

and if you do get this area planted, how do you plan on mowing it if it's necessary?

bspencer 07-28-2005 03:37 PM

ORIGINAL: psandhu

about how many acres are you planning on planting, and what is it like?

a few years ago i cleared out a field that was overgrown with brush, saplings and trees up to 12 years old. i had a 35 hp tractor with a boxblade that had scarifying teeth, a bush hog, and a chainsaw. to get several acres done took me an entire summer. the hardest parts to get rid of were roots and stumps. remember, there were probably 500 saplings in this area beforehand. i don't think any kind of atv gizmo will have enough gumption to clear out that land.

and if you do get this area planted, how do you plan on mowing it if it's necessary?

If I had a tractor and a bush hog I would clear the existing 15-20 acre field that is being overgrown with multifloural roases(briars to me)..... at one time it was covered in clover as well.....plus the 2 loaded apple trees i nthe middle of it help for deer as well.......

but as for using this plow at most would be 1-2 acres total in the woods on a mountainside .
they would be a few different plots

psandhu 07-28-2005 04:17 PM

i would make friends with someone that has a tractor and bush hog, let him clear out a pre-determined negotiated areain exchange for some pre-determinednegotiated hunting priveledges. you should buy his diesel, and he provides the labor and machinery.

bspencer 07-28-2005 05:07 PM

oh it will be bush hogged..... I jsut have to borrow a friends tractor for the weekend and it will be done...........

psandhu 07-28-2005 05:21 PM

in that case, i would build a sturdy and simple implement for the atv, like in picture 4.

get the hard work done with the tractor, and you can do the finsihing steps with the atv. that sounds like the best plan for you.

bspencer 07-28-2005 05:34 PM

i just seen a price on the first one pictured.... $998!!!!!!!

\ the one i build wont be for the open field it will be jsut for use in the woods..im looking through the Tractor Supply master catalogue now for parts and piece i may have to buy.....hehe

bspencer 07-28-2005 05:57 PM

atv plows

found the parts in the TSC book......... jsut doesnt list prices.I will have to run into the store tomorrow t see how much its gonna cost me......... think i might build one like the last one.. with the chisel spikes....but have a set of wheels on one side so i can roll it over and pull it to where i need it then roll it back over onto the spikes to start work

bagem 07-28-2005 09:00 PM

RE: atv plows

My advice is to get one that is HEAVY. If you don't have 500 or more pounds, you aren't going to be disking very deep. You should also have an ATV of at least 500cc.