HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Where can I find Golden Nugget Deer Feed ?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/106573-where-can-i-find-golden-nugget-deer-feed.html)

Hit-em-Hard 07-24-2005 06:09 PM

Where can I find Golden Nugget Deer Feed ??

I'm hoping someone can help me find a product called Golden Nugget Deer Feed to use in a spin caster Deer Feeder.
Perhaps a website or something...
Anyone ever hear of this stuff. I saw it on a hunting show today & forgot to write down the address.
I'd like to give it a try if I can find it.
Hope someone can help.
Thanks

kevin1 07-25-2005 08:06 AM

RE: Where can I find Golden Nugget Deer Feed ??

Two questions:

1) Have you tried your local feed and seed ?

2) Does it really work better than plain ol' corn ?

An internet search should turn up a dealer or other source of supply .

Hit-em-Hard 07-25-2005 10:13 AM

Kevin,
I've tried to do a search & I can't find anything. I did do a search here on Hunting.net & did find one reference to it, but no reference as to where I can get info on it.
I'm hoping someone can steer me to where I can get my hands on some to compare it to corn.
Thanks

kevin1 07-25-2005 12:17 PM

I couldn't find your chosen feed either , but I did stumble across this:

The feed of choice is generally corn. Corn is economical, and whitetail deer love it. Is it good for them? Well, yes and no. It depends on the time of the year, and the condition of the available forage. In the fall and winter when cold weather begins to arrive, corn is an excellent source of energy for deer. It helps to keep their internal furnaces stoked up to help them face the cold, and often wet or icy weather. Corn only has about 7 or 8 % protein, but during the fall and winter, deer don't generally need a high protein diet nearly as much as they need it during the following months. They do need something in their bellies, though, and if a deer is hungry, corn sure beats the heck out of nothing.
I only use corn , let Mother Nature and the local farmers provide the nutritious stuff . ;)

soonershooter 07-27-2005 02:21 AM

Hit -em,
I saw that show also and it was Keith Warren's show from Texas. I remember his website is www.keithwarren.net
By the looks of the fancy bag it looks very expensive especially if you're only interested in attraction. How long would that stuff last on wet ground? I love his show for his friendly mannerism but was a bit put off on this episode when they showed a shot of a feeder with deer under it and the logo of the feeder was cleverly digitally camo'd out. Just goes to show if you have the competitors brand of equipment it will be neutralized in favor of the sponsor's brand everytime. Keith has fallen into the big dollar deal anymore with his hunts. Says he shoots Savage but really has a sweet custom Dietz .270 then travels toNew Zealand a few times and all of the expensive destinations from Canada to Texas and guided everytime except for the partnership he has with Texas Hidden Springs Ranch and even then he's hunting from the best blinds they have. I would love to see him take a good buck on my 320 acre forest without anyone helping him and no ATV or trucks allowed. He would cry like a baby. Probably not even show up and it's in Kansas!

Hit-em-Hard 07-29-2005 05:19 AM

Sooner,
That's the show I saw this on. I agree with you in regards to Keith's easy going manner.
It seems like alot of these guys have lost perspective in regards to hunting. It seems that most of the shows today are all about showing results, not the skill & woodcraft it takes to be an effective hunter.
But then again they're probably giving the hunting public what they want...scenes of trophy animals being taken.
I wanted to compare the Golden Nuggets to Corn in a feeder I have that I can see off my deck to see if one was better then other in drawing deer to view from my deck.
Perhaps someone will come up with a source for it.

Buckyehunter 08-03-2005 09:48 PM

You can find it in any Acco Feeds dealer, or go to Nutrena.com and do a dealer finder to find the nearest store to wherever you're located...It's much more digestible, has more energy,and isslightly higher in protein than corn...

Hit-em-Hard 08-04-2005 09:59 AM

I went to the web site, but can't find anything that's under the name Golden Nuggets.
Am I missing something or is it going under another name now ??
Thanks

timbercruiser 08-04-2005 11:03 AM

Unless you are feeding deer in a pen I wouldn't spend the money. We tried some of the Purina "rain proof" stuff a couple of years ago in a spin feeder. All we got was a thinner wallet and a pile of soured feed the first rain. We didn't have any luck getting the deer to eat the stuff.

Buckyehunter 08-04-2005 09:25 PM

Contact your local Nutrena dealer and they will know what your talking about. The product is fairly new and Keith Warren has mentioned on his show before...
Nutrenaworld.com