Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Management other than food plots?

Old 07-07-2005, 12:54 PM

Default Management other than food plots?

Hey I was just wondering if anyone does any wildlife management other than food plots? thinning, native plant fertilizing, road daylighting, etc. Thanks.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:37 PM

Default RE: Management other than food plots?

Sure do. I enrolled in a conservation program this year that paid me to cut down some timber along a field edge and plant with trees and shrubs. I choose to plant crabapples, pears, hazlenuts, and elderberries. I also enrolled in a different plan a couple years ago to convert some of my land from farming to reforest it. Again, I planted oaks and crabapples. The area will grow thick and provide wildlife with both food and cover.

In the next two years I will cut down all of the vegetation that is non-beneficial to wildlife in a two acre area along a field edge. I will cut down and spray species like maple, poplar, cedar, and the like and leave oaks, grapes, nannyberries, and autumn olives. I don't open-up the only road wayI have because it is already open in most places. I don't fertilize the native vegetation because it is pretty thick and hard to reach, would take a long time, and the cost of fertilizer is really high right now.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:46 PM

I think you'll find that quite a few of us has implemented some sort of wildlife mgmt. besides foodplots. I have about a quarter of my farm in some type of wildlife area. These are fenced so cattle can not enter. Some of these areas have had timber stand improvement practices implemented with an eye for mast producing tree production. Several areas have been clear cutted and allow to regenerate into an early succession forested area. I have one sancuary of about 25 acres where no one can hunt or travel through. I will probably not get to the stage of fertilizing individual trees, but I won't hesitate to fertilize on the fence edge of some of these areas that are accessable. I also have 4 foodplot areas as well.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't do food plots, but try to practice sound range management combined with planned brush control.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:30 AM

Many people do, a lot don't understand where to start or how to establish a plan. Sometimes its worth a few dollars for professional help to get started in right direction.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:41 AM

Thanks All, do you all manage strictly for deer and turkey or non-game as well. Its good to see that you all realize that management involves more than just food plots. Good luck with your season.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:17 AM

I manage only for deer and turkeys, but the benefits of those practices help many other species as well.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:24 AM
Spike

I would say this forum, is a good source but talking to your local conservationist would be the best idea. They have all the goods on what to do for all wildlife or even specific species. But in general most of their goals are geared for ALL wildlife in general.

Now I myself amgeared for Deer and Turkey, so my situation will be to use practices leaning towards them.

I had an agent comeout andshe had TONS of ideas and I filtered out what I wanted. This was a free visit, and they also have a ton of programs that pay you as long as you follow their guidlines for periods of time. I can only speak for Missouri, but I would venture to say most other states work the same way.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

A good start would be to join the Quality Deer Management Association. Your #1 deer management tool is your trigger finger.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:15 PM
Typical Buck

Like the North Texan said, good sound range management is a great way to start, when you improve your local eco system all wildlife will show improvements. Food plots need to be big enough to substain your local herd, and can range from a couple acres to hundreds of acres.. Mangement is so much more than just the deer or other wildlife, it invloves Land mangement, herd management and alot of luck...

The best place to start is with a call to your state wildlife office and see were they can send you, here in Texas they have state programs for QDM and in some cases the local state biogist will come out and help you with what you need and get you pointed in the right direction...

Quick Reply: Management other than food plots?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.