Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

??? about deer / mineral licks...

Old 07-20-2005, 08:54 PM

Default RE: ??? about deer / mineral licks...

I just started using the "homemade" mineral mixes this winter/spring. I use 2 parts Di-Cal, 2 parts Trace Mineral Salt & 1 part Vitamin A-B-D. In MN I usually buy at Fleet Farm. 125 lbs for about $30. The one thing I tried that seemed to really work well was to buy 1 bag of "name brand" mix and put some on top of my "home-brew". The "name brands" use an attractant and the deer seem to find it faster. Once they find it the first time, they seem to keep coming back. Also, it has been working better on stumps as compared to just mixing it with the soil.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

this year i only used home depot solar salt and di-cal from agway. the di cal is 12$ for 50 lbs. i ask the sales guy to give me a good deal on open bag solar salt. usually 2$ for 40lbs. i wouldnt worry about not seeing deer. its hot out and the deer arent moving enough to find it.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:52 PM

They have not hit my lick in a while either. But before this hot weather came in they were tearing it up. I replenished it after only a couple weeks in the ground. Now I have a 3' by 10" deep hole were we placed it. I refill it after the season this year and again in early spring.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

WNY Bowhunter -

Sometimes when establishing a lick - its a good Idea to put the lick (like you made i the dirt) right on a well used trail - and mix right on top 1-2 lbs of straight salt. It gets them used to the site - and eventually they get used to the Mineral Mix - not just salt.

Even with the best lick - usage really stops in late August - as the antlers start to harden - and fawns start eating browse.

FH
Old 08-01-2005, 01:15 AM
Fork Horn

WNY just leave the minerals go and the deer will find it. 1sagittariushit the nail on the head.These mineral licks are not attractents. They may especially this time a year only be used spardiclly. Remberthis time of year deer are getting the best out of crops, so they are getting good minerals from the food they are eating, ie... corn, beans, and different grasses. My mineral licks get hit the best Right after the rut when the bucks have lost weight from breeding and during the spring ealry Spring through early summer when does are carrying young ins and right after when they are still producing milk. This is why after the first year the lick is established you only need to replenish it once a year.

One other thing you might try is staying away from them for a month or so. You may be saturating the area with sent and they may be skiddish. Also rember that anything offered to deer by man they are not going to tear up or maybe not even use it for awhile until they know it is safe for them to do so.