Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

BUCK FORAGE OR SOMETHING ELSE?

Old 06-23-2005, 09:52 AM
Spike

Default BUCK FORAGE OR SOMETHING ELSE?

I have a private farm that I hunt in central New York and would like to plant some BFO or some other hunting food plot that will last into the deer season.I am looking for some suggestions on what to plant.The farm I hunt on is about 400 acres and has farms that are all growing corn all around the perimmiter of my farm.I have an old clover plot that is on its last year and other than that thats all this farm has on it.I can start planting after the fourth of july so any seed selections will have to reflect that.I am going totalk to my freind that owns the place and get a soil sample this week .One more question should I plant the plot in the middle,edge or inside cornerof the feild?THANKS ALOT FOR ANY ADVISE!!
Old 06-23-2005, 09:55 AM

Default RE: BUCK FORAGE OR SOMETHING ELSE?

Winter wheat would do well.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:13 PM

I also live in CNY. I planted BFO mid-August last year. It grew extremely well, up to about 12-16 inches before cold weather halted growth. Plants stayed green past the muzzleloader season. I planted one acre next to some turnips, rape, lab lab beans and cowpeas. The deer hitthe BFO very hard during all seasons, even with the other offerings. Once we got some deep snow, they split their time on the turnips and BFO.

BFO has great quailities:Inexpensive, easy to plant, no maintenance, it grows almost anywhere, and the deer love it!

By the way, I tried cowpeas just for the fun of it since it's mainly used further south(I planted in spring). The deer probably hit that the hardest than any other planting. They don't like cold and will die immediately on the first frosty night.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:12 AM
Spike

Thanks for the replies guys,what about where to plant middle,side or inside corner the feild that I am going to us is about 10 acres and I only want to plant 1-2.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:54 AM

I would go for the corner or edge. Try to place it near some good cover that the deer feel corfortable and have a ready escape route. Pay attention to the prevailing wind, stand locations, and avoid hunting near it. Setup on trails leading to the plot, no over the plot, if possible. Good luck!!
Old 06-27-2005, 08:44 PM

Place the food plot toward the closest and most dense cover, if you have it in the middle of the field the deer wouldn't feel comfortable eating out there, and would rarely come to the center. Deer usually don't travel more then 100 yards from dense cover unless they have to, hope this helps
Old 06-27-2005, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the Northeast corner of a big field - Remember - a corner is 1/2 of a funnel..... and in CNY - the wind in the NE corner is uually right - for deer and hunting them.

If you are looking for a "draw plot" - its tough to beat Sept 1 planted Winter wheat or rye.As you go on - I'd look to make it a clover plot - for 9 month usage over 2 months.

FH
Old 06-30-2005, 07:13 PM
Typical Buck

Are the BFO's annual or prenial?
Old 07-01-2005, 07:19 AM

BFO is an annual. It can also be used as a cover crop - over clover for instance, just plant about 1/3 the usual amount if used as a cover crop.

Plant mid to late August, and you will have good growth by bow season.

I am clearing some trees for a new plot and it was suggested (thanks Farm Hunter and RonM)I use oats for my first planting this fall. I can till it in next spring for some additional biomass on next years crop.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:19 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: rocksfan_1

Place the food plot toward the closest and most dense cover, if you have it in the middle of the field the deer wouldn't feel comfortable eating out there, and would rarely come to the center. Deer usually don't travel more then 100 yards from dense cover unless they have to, hope this helps
I haven't planted a food plot before , but wouldn't it make sense to put the most desirable plantings near the middle of the plot to draw the deer more out into the open for cleaner shooting ?

Quick Reply: BUCK FORAGE OR SOMETHING ELSE?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.