HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   New food Plot (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/102418-new-food-plot.html)

sean600classic 06-08-2005 08:52 AM

New food Plot

I recently cleared a 1/2 acre lot that had 1" to 5" trees on it. I pulled all the stumps with my backhoe but there is still some root debris. What is the best way(most efficient) to get the lot to a tillable point. I have access to a 2 bottom plow and disks with a 30HP Kubota. Note - trees were dropped in winter so the roots should be dried out.

Should I plow first, then disk?

I plan on a fall planting and the soil is extremely dry; we have had very little rain in Central New for the past month.

psandhu 06-08-2005 09:37 AM

RE: New food Plot

plow and disk. the roots that come up can be removed by hand. it's not going to be as big of a problem as you think, unless you are trying to plant a putting green.

slobbyrobby33 06-25-2005 02:17 AM

If you had access to an old disc plow would be the best. We had a farm we started planting years ago and that is what we had to do. Weplowed with a 5 bottom plow and just clogged it up with root wads. The disc plow is a very heave disc that sinks like a plow and curs the root wads up.

timbercruiser 06-25-2005 06:29 AM

I doubt 1-5 inch trees are going to have enough roots to be a problem. A good offset disc would be best, but the bottom plow will bust it up. I would then get my soil test and disc it up to help level the patch up.

farm hunter 06-27-2005 10:09 PM

I like to plow - 6-8 inches turn over - then disk.

The lower soils in fallow plots are low in organic matter - and I like to tip it upsidedown for a first planting. (usually rye, buckwheat, winter wheat or oats).

FH

RonM 06-28-2005 07:04 AM

You might be best to go in a disk it good to break some of those roots with long runners into a more manageable size, then moldboard plow and disk it again then lime it and disk it again , then plant it this fall in rye or green crop and some turnips, then plow it under in the spring...

sean600classic 06-28-2005 07:49 AM

Thanks for the input. Still finishing pulling some stumps with the John Deere 310A. It's amazing how older equipment seems to break when the job isalmost complete. Love those 'in the field' repairs.

I had some good success with oats last year on another plot, so I'll probably stick with that. I'll add some turnips for extra early winter forage. I'll turn it next spring and work in some spring planting.

I'll try to get some pictures - from rough, to plowed, to disked,finallygrowing.