Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Liming Soil

Old 06-08-2005, 05:39 AM

Default Liming Soil

I have a ph of 5.2 to reach 6.0 I need5.5 tons of 80-89 lime per acre. Seems greek to me. Anyway last year I planted clovers with out liming and plan to add another small plot this year. I do fertlize my plots. Question--- Just how important is the lime? My clovers look great and the turnips last year went fast once we got a frost. I'm not hunting it all that much but I enjoy seeing and feeding the deer. I have to draw a line on how much I'm going to spend. I only own a 40 acres sorrounded by paper company land. Open to public hunting. I have approx. 3+ acres in food plots. Some of it is the trails but I do have 2 plots of a total 1.5 to 2 acres there. I don't think a lime truck could make it down the trails.Does the lime affect the flavor of the food to the deer, or is it just to have a maxium growth?
Old 06-08-2005, 10:25 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Liming Soil

for that 5.5 tons of lime that's suggested, what is the incorporation depth in the recommendation? if it's something like 10-12" for the 5.5 tons, you could spread much less lime if you only work it into the top few inches.

if you don't raise the ph, adding extra fert is a waste of money since it's going to be binded to the soil and not available to the plants. sort of like painting the outside of your house just before a heavy rain.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Liming Soil

clover pretty much can produce it own ferilizer with the nitrogen fixing nodules as legumes do, lime a little each year, I have read on here that lime makes the clover sweeter and more palatable for the deer,