HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Food Plot implement question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/101890-food-plot-implement-question.html)

PYseeker 06-02-2005 01:23 AM

Food Plot implement question

I am wondering if any one is using a combination implement for there food plots, and if so what brand and what do you think of it. The reason I ask is I live pretty far from my property and I will need to get plots in as quickly as possible. So having most of the equipment in one package is a plus for me. I have been looking at the Firminator, the ECO drill from Kasco and lastly the plot master. Anyone who can help out please speak up. I would appreciate any advice.

arkansasbowhunter 06-04-2005 08:19 PM

RE: Food Plot implement question

for what it is worth I talked with a fellow that has a plotmaster. He says it does a great job with larger grains but poorly with the smaller grains. It has 3 degrees of agressiveness on the disc and with a 40 hp tractor he can run it on the 3rd or most agressive cut but on an atv he said I would only be able to run on the 2nd degree. also, with an atv in his opinion it would take 2 passes to do everthing instead of one with a tractor. a tractor has the pto and can really make it work. now with all that being said, I have a disc and an 100lb spreader that I purchased for 500.00. I am looking at getting a harrow rake, lawn roller and a spot sprayer to complete my arsenal. I will have about 1000.00 in equipment vs the 3000.00 for the plot master. I may even make my own harrow rake out of a pipe and fence. if you are going to do small plots then you can get a seed drill like used in gardens for the big seeds such as soybeans or you can broadcast them also but you must use 30% more seed if you broadcast. hope this helps ya out.

arkansasbowhunter 06-04-2005 08:21 PM

have you got prices for the toys you were looking at. the firminator looks good IMO. I couldn't find a price for it though.

PYseeker 06-07-2005 12:21 AM

ORIGINAL: arkansasbowhunter

have you got prices for the toys you were looking at. the firminator looks good IMO. I couldn't find a price for it though.
Thanks for the information. The reason I want to go with a multifunctional implement is beacause of the lack oif time I will have to put in plots. I live 9 hours from my land and only will have limited time to put in plots. I have requested info on all the equipment, so I am not sure about cost yet, but I'm willing to bet that the firminator will be slightly more than the plotmaster. Thanks again.

farm hunter 06-07-2005 09:23 PM

There are few "quick fixes" in farming. (except maybe roundup)

The "Multi-function" implements I've seen are a waste of ALOT of money. You might better hire a local farmer to put in the plot if you really do not have time - rather than layout the cash for an "all-in-one" tool - that does well on a sandy beach - but not on a real life upland plot - like most of us are trying to do.

Just being realistic. -

FH

PYseeker 06-08-2005 12:35 AM

ORIGINAL: farm hunter

There are few "quick fixes" in farming. (except maybe roundup)

The "Multi-function" implements I've seen are a waste of ALOT of money. You might better hire a local farmer to put in the plot if you really do not have time - rather than layout the cash for an "all-in-one" tool - that does well on a sandy beach - but not on a real life upland plot - like most of us are trying to do.

Just being realistic. -

I have thought about that to, I just would get more satisfaction from doing all the work myself. Thanks for the input Farm hunter.

FH

sean600classic 06-08-2005 01:49 PM

I find the all in one concept hard to believe. Especially given the fact that large scale farming does not offer such a device. I guess given perfect conditions, this implement would do fine for creating deer food plots. I'd hate to take it over freshly plowed fields with the single line of disks - I think the time on soil would actually increase(and likely break the equipment). On unplowed ground, forget it. A good set of adjustable disks will get your soil cut and reasonably smooth in most every situation. No matter what you use, good preparation and proper soil chemistry will get the results.