Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 Where Are You Getting Your Clover Seed? >

Where Are You Getting Your Clover Seed?

Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Where Are You Getting Your Clover Seed?

Old 06-08-2005, 11:46 AM
etw

Default RE: Where Are You Getting Your Clover Seed?

Pennington. www.penningtonseed.com I planted their Rackmaster 3 white clover blend which includes Durana last September. Hey, the critters are eating it. I can't say they like it or dislike it over any of the other 1/4 acre clover plots. Frankly I haven't found any food plot plant that is a deer magnet. I've tried Oats, turnips, Mossy Oak stuff and Imperial. It all grows and since I just plant 1/4 acre plots they are packaged to suit my needs. I'm still looking for the majic bean. Meanwhile this Durana is touted as a clover that will last. Since I use a garden tiller that should mean alot less WORK.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I get my clover at the local feed store.$3.90 a pound.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:22 PM
Fork Horn

How much are you guys seeding(#/acre)?
Brian
Old 06-09-2005, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

15 pounds per acre
Old 06-10-2005, 09:25 AM

Germain,

I had caculated I spend about $7 more an acre when I plant whitetail clover. Your spending $3.90 x 15 lbs per acre. That is $58.50 per acre.

I get a coupon in the Whitetail News magazine I get from Whitetatil Institute and I buy Whitetail clover for about $4.20 per pound and they reccommend 8 lbs per acre. I plant it at 10 pounds per acre, so I have $42 per acre in the seed. It's actually $16.00 per acre cheaper to plant whitetail clover and it has done alot better in most cases for me than the farm store stuff as well. www.whitetailinstitute.com
Old 06-10-2005, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: hogboss

Germain,

I had caculated I spend about $7 more an acre when I plant whitetail clover. Your spending $3.90 x 15 lbs per acre. That is $58.50 per acre.

I get a coupon in the Whitetail News magazine I get from Whitetatil Institute and I buy Whitetail clover for about $4.20 per pound and they reccommend 8 lbs per acre. I plant it at 10 pounds per acre, so I have $42 per acre in the seed. It's actually $16.00 per acre cheaper to plant whitetail clover and it has done alot better in most cases for me than the farm store stuff as well. www.whitetailinstitute.com
It seems that deer are getting to be like teenagers, they have to have the brand name stuff or they won't be happy.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info hogboss.I'll look into that mix.
I like to spread the 15 per acre cause it comes in thicker.The mix I get asks for 8-10 per acre.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:13 AM
Fork Horn

Guys, I would have to go back through a couple years of e-mails to prove it, but I bought my seed from a company out of the N.West Organ or Washington, that sells Tecomante all of its clover seed. The guy that owns the company sent me pictures of his employees bagging the Tecomate in there bags along with bagging his seed in giant ziplock bags. gost me like $90 bucks (including shipping ) for 25 pounds of New Zealand White clover. At the time I could not find Tecomante for that price.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think anyone can beat Dutch White Clover. This clover is hardy and it grows short so the main part of the plant is leave. The stuff is cheep and will grow in almost any soil. I would not say only use it , but it is a good low filler for early season , it also is a perenial which will regrow and thicken a plot area. It will choke out with other plants as well. Deer like it as much as the other brands...BT
Old 07-08-2005, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

In the 3 plots that I have done, I have only used Imperial Whitetail Clover. Yes it is more than Ladino from the coop, but I agree with FH...the seed is the least expensive part of the plot. I spent way more on lime, fertilizer and prep than I did seed. My plots have all come in great, and the deer love it. I'm on my 4th season on one plot. I spent $45 on the seed for that plot. So when you look at it over time, it gets even cheaper. Thats a tad over $11/year for seed on that 1/2 acre plot of clover. AndI seeded my plot heavier than recommended.

Based on what I have seen from my small plots, if I had a 5 or 10acre plot to plant with clover, it would be Imperial. I am no expert by any means, but the cost of seed seems like a non issue for most of us since we are not commercial farmers. Now if I was planting 1000's of acres of annual crop, that might be a different story...but again you usually get what you pay for with all things.

Quick Reply: Where Are You Getting Your Clover Seed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.