Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What is jumping the string??

Old 05-09-2005, 12:33 PM

Default What is jumping the string??

I'm new to bow hunting could someone help me?
Old 05-09-2005, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What is jumping the string??

Jumping the string is when you fire your bow and the deer drops a few inches upon hearing the release. This may cause your arrow to fly over the deer's back even though you had the pin placed on the vitals.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my opinion it means that as the arrow is released, there is a "twang" sound that the deer hears just as the arrow begins flight. When the deer hears this, his natural reaction is to duck or lower his body (as we would do if startled by a loud noise). When this happens, the deer lowers his shoulders just as the arrow flies over his body.

The point is, had the deer not reacted to the sound of the arrow being released, the arrow would have flown true, hitting the vitals. Others may have a better explaination.....
Old 05-09-2005, 12:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

"Jumping the string" is a reaction to the sound your bow string makes upon release. When deer are startled they often spring down or duck then bound, if this happens it can cause your arrow to completely miss the target or hit higher then expected. My advise is don't worry much about the "jumping the string" thing, instead concentrate on the mechanics from draw to release, pick the hair(spot to aim) and follow through just like you do when punching foam. I have had very few deer duck or jump the string and those that did were usually of my own doing!

Practice shooting like you hunt and when its time to pull on a live target don't treat it any different that practice, you'll be fine!
Old 05-09-2005, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

The above all give the primary definition, in my mind, the secondary definition is "the most overused excuse for missing around"

YES it happens, but how often is it used as an excuse when it didn't happen, the guy just flat out missed? I watched a bowhunter once take the shot, deer never flinched, arrow went right over his back, deer didn't even move when arrow buried in the ground. He DID move however when the guy tried to reload for the second shot. Ran into him on the road and he told me all about it, we had never met and he didn't know I was in my tree when he came in and setup 75 yards away.

I am sure it happens more in other parts of the country where hunting pressure is higher, but our deer just don't get shot at enough and are usually pretty relaxed.

--Bob
Old 05-09-2005, 01:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bearklr
Jumping the string is when you fire your bow and the deer drops a few inches upon hearing the release. This may cause your arrow to fly over the deer's back even though you had the pin placed on the vitals.
Please don't remind me.... [:'(][:-][&o] I'm going to have nightmares again about that monster 8 point buck that I missed last season. I mean, I had him - he was all mine from 20 yards away. I drew back when he sniffed the ground, but then, I started shaking and felt sweat run down my back. My heart was racing and thumping in my head. I had my 20 yard pin right in the breadbasket and hit the release. In that exact fraction of a micro-second of string release, the 8 pointer sensed something, and crouched down like a cat, with a reaction like, "Holy *$&@ what was that!" [&:] - then sprung about 5 feet in the air and leaped about 10 feet into the woods and was gone in a flash!

This is a prime example of what is known as "Buck Fever" and also "jumping the string".

Butch A.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL...hey Butch maybe next time you should try aiming at his hoof.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah..... I will get him this coming season. I KNOW WHERE HE LIVES!!!

Butch A.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:32 PM

I had a similar experience with a big 7 point a number of years ago. Saw him coming in to Tinks at 100+ yards...real slow.... It took him about a hour to cover 80 yards. I thought my heart was going to explode with every damn step he took. When he passed behind an oak at a MEASURED 19 yards I drew. The bow made the eeeensy weeensist squeak and he froze - with me at full draw. After about a minute I was shaking so bad I was sure I would die. He wouldnt move, the oak covering the vitals the entire time. Not sure how much longer I stood there up in the tree at full draw before he took a step but when he did I put the 20 yard pin on his heart touched the release and watched the arrow sail 1/2 of an inch above his back. He jumped nothing - even on alert. I just flat out missed. It still pisses me off.

Old 05-09-2005, 08:17 PM

Jumping the string has already been explained pretty well by others but how do you solve it?
It's simple, you have to quiet that bow down. That "twang" sound is pretty pronounced on some of the superfast bows that guys are shooting these days. The arrow can't soak up all the energy the bow has so some of it is either absorbed by the bow it'self (why we don't dry fire the darn things) or is released as noise. Most bows already come equiped with string leeches and other noise reduction equipment but aside from that the easiest ways to reduce the noise is to not use such a high draw poundage and using a heavier arrow.
A lower poundage will quieten a bow down because it won't have as much excess energy after the arrow is shot. A heavier arrow is able to soak up more of that bow energy as it's being shot. Trust me, 70 pound bows are overkill. You don't really need more than 45 pounds to get a complete pass through and kill a deer. A heavier arrow penatrates much better than light arrows because it has more kinetic energy.

Quick Reply: What is jumping the string??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.