Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Old does or young does, what do you shoot? >

Old does or young does, what do you shoot?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Old does or young does, what do you shoot?

Old 05-21-2005, 09:02 PM

Default RE: Old does or young does, what do you shoot?

I know the popular thing is to shoot the older does, but here in MO, the doe to buck ratio is so out of whack, I shoot the first one I get a good shot at. Now, we have unlimited doe tags for archery, so I whack one, and then maybe wait for the alpha.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:48 PM

Well in the area i hunt there is a lot of pressure on the deer,especially the bucks. There isn't a lot of older bucks around so rather than pin my hopes on an antlered "trophy" I chose to single out the matriarch does.IMO they are just as hard to take as an older buck.The does are always in survival mode and do not get rut "dumb". I feel just as much satisfaction when I take an old doe as I do when I take a mature buck. It may be true that the older does produce twins annually, but i leave enough deer in the woods so population is not a problem. Also this practice has helped me,I'm sure, to not take button bucks and over the years has helped me be able to "age " the deer. I know in some areas my style of hunting may not be appropriate, but in my area,there is not a shortage of old does or deer in general except for big mature bucks. Yes i do pass on the younger bucks to be able to take that "trophy" doe.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:11 PM

Man my old post has some legs to it. At least it's a good discussion. I was back out at my property this weekend and yep, more deer. I'm still looking for my wallhanger but until then Bambi's kid sister sure tastes good. I guess that's the good thing about unlimited resident doe archery tags in Illinois. You don't mind shooting the little ones as you can always go back and get another. The old does keep pumping out the babies and I keep eating them.
This works for me.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:15 PM
Typical Buck

Anyone I've ever talked to has said to take the mature does if at all possible, this will give the younger deer with possible better genetics a chance to reproduce for many years to come, compare it to a hardwood forest, sometiems you have to cut the old oaks who dont produce as well anymore to give the younger underbrush and browse a chance to grow, hah hopeyou liked my analogy.

G Lew, KOTW
Old 06-06-2005, 10:10 PM

Guys, I know that this is an old topic and has been over for a while now, but I just wanted to pass on something for you all to ponder. Statistically speaking older females of any species whether it be deer, elk, chimpanzees or humans are more prone to birth defects, premature birth, and increased infant mortality. This is because when reaching sexual maturity all female mammals have developed all the eggs they're ever going to. As time goes on and the body ages, these eggs become more and more prone to DNA mutations due to a variety of external and internal factors. Its a proven fact that the older a female is the more likely for an adverse outcome. If your looking to improve the "gene pool" in your area, allow bucks to breed does whose genetic zygote is in its prime. TAKE OLD DOES..... Period. This will not only help to rid the population of unwanted genetic trends, but create a more hearty heard. BTW, older does mean just that, does still capable of breeding but out of their prime breeding years.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:15 AM
Dominant Buck

I'll take the one that looks the tastiest and will have a good yield . I don't concern myself with gender management , that's what I pay our DNR to do .
Old 06-07-2005, 09:03 AM

old, they are the smartest
Old 06-07-2005, 12:28 PM

I try to make it a point and not discriminate. I will shoot big and little does.

I watch those little once closely though. I don't want to be taking out my chances for a P&Y buck 4 years from now.