Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Old does or young does, what do you shoot? >

Old does or young does, what do you shoot?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Old does or young does, what do you shoot?

Old 05-11-2005, 06:16 PM

Default RE: Old does or young does, what do you shoot?

I've never had the opportunity to "pick" a doe because 1- in my area there are very few doe tags and 2- When I've gotten a tag, I've allways wandered upon a single doe. But if the opportunity occured, I'd shoot the bigger one, just because all the smaller ones can "potentially" be button bucks.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

i've never really seen any button bucks up in kentucky. the area that i hunt has plenty of nutrition and come to think of it i've never even seen a spike. everything has been forked or a basket rack. i've only killed one deer so far and it wasn't a doe so i can't really say how i do it, since i've never had the opportunity. but i would say whichever produced the first or best shot(usually yoiung does), or whichever one was trying to blow my cover(old doe).
Old 05-15-2005, 03:02 PM

the matriarch doe is first on my list, in the winter she drives the younger deer off food sources and she will drive the young bucks out of her territory, besides she would be the one that busted me, so when i get the chance i will kill her first.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Truk, Welcome to the board! Another one that will go for the matriarch doe...great minds think alike. lol
Old 05-18-2005, 05:29 PM

i prefer the older does more meet i dont shoot many bucks but i luv deer meat i have my eye on a doe for this season already i get 3 this year
Old 05-18-2005, 06:17 PM

Shoot all the old mature animals and pass on all the young immature animals regarless of weather it is a buck or doe. Its a very simple concept, it really is..........
Old 05-18-2005, 08:08 PM

i was always told to take the young doe, because the old doe will breed 2 fawns next year ...... dunno how true but thats what i was told.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have gotten 7 doe permits for the last several years but have never killed more than 1 or 2 each year. I decided this was the year to fill our tags. My brother only hunted a couple of times, my youngest son hunted hard but saw bucks instead of does, and I filled 5 of 7 permits (I have always been lucky). To answer the original question, any deer without "outdoor plumbing" is fair game for my QDM program. I am very selective with bucks, but doe management is more opportunity than selection. I am posting a picture of 3 does killed within a 2 hour morning hunt and only 2 shots were fired.
Old 05-21-2005, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

i prefer to shoot big does but if need be ill shoot a young un. Hey retrieverman how did u kill 3 deer with 2 shots? did u have a pass through on one that hit another one or what? Best of luck to everyone!
Old 05-21-2005, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I waited until they lined up and shot high shoulder on the nearest and necked the second (neither even twitched). I was shooting my Knight Disc 50 cal with a 250 gr Barnes Expander (kind of like thowing an ashtray at them). I drug those two under my tree and waited for the third to come in about 30 minutes later. I use a camtracker to scout so I knew when they were coming.

Quick Reply: Old does or young does, what do you shoot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.