Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Newbie Gun Caliber question

Old 05-04-2005, 12:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Newbie Gun Caliber question

CW, I disagree on smaller. I shoot 6.5mmSwede all the way up to Moose,
but the last box of Norma ammo cost me $38 plus tax. The .260 is also a
good caliber. He asked about the 30-30 or the 30-06 for deer. He mentioned
he was new to rifles.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:10 PM

i took my first deer with my dads old 30/30. I have taken alot sense then as well. I own alot of bigbore rifles problem is i never see anything unless i have a 30/30. Good for 100yards, 150if you trust your shooting ability. and bullets around here go for around 12-22 a box depending on brand. But like someone said, If you are gonna be makeing shots past 150yards, go with a 270 or a 30-06.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

i would recomend the 30-06. you can hunt just about anything you want in north america. you can get surplus ammo through cabelas. they have 150 grain fmj's in 150 round boxes for i believe 59.99.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:09 PM

Ok my 2 cents. I have taken deer with the 30-30 (Winchester 94), a 7.62 (.308) my friends Remington pump, a .270 (Ruger M-77) and my favorite the 30-06 (Ruger M-77). I also hunt in a shotgun only section of the state and have put a hurtin on em with a 12 Ga. slug. I just purchased a Thomson Omega in 50 Cal for this year and cant wait to use that too. From what I've read on this thread all these calibers are suitable for your plan (Don't know if I would actually use a 6.5 on Moose - but then I dont hunt moose...) It's more a matter of what you're comfortable and confident with. When I grab my -06 I KNOW IN MY HEART that if I see a deer I want - it's mine, and when loaded in the 150 - 165 Grain bullet range the deer dont move 3 feet from where I thump 'em. As my Pop's said "If it aint broke don't fix it", and I see no use in changing. A 12 Guage slug at 30 feet usually pile drives 'em into the dirt pretty fast too!

Old 05-04-2005, 08:54 PM

I've dropped a deer out to 225 yards with a 30-30 so it can be done. It still has more power at that range than a .44 mag at the muzzle. I'm not new to shooting and I would not recomend taking that shot if you are. The guns the 30-30 is chambered in are small and quick handling for woods hunting. Few guns will snap to a running deer nearly as fast as a lever action carbine. If your hunt is going to be deer drives and still hunting then I would go for the 30-30.
Any bolt action in 30-06, .270, .308, or 7mm is fine for hunting from a blind. With a stable rest those guns can and often do take deer out to 500 yards. But before you even think about shooting that kind of range you had better practice a lot. A 4 inch mistake a 100 yards will still hit a lung but at 500 yards it's a 20 inch miss.
Lots of practice is much better than deliberating over the perfect caliber. That being said, get a practice gun in 22LR. They are cheap to buy and cheap to shoot. You can shoot a few hundred rounds of .22 for what a 20 round box of almost any other caliber costs.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:09 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Zoomer

Ok my 2 cents. I have taken deer with the 30-30 (Winchester 94), a 7.62 (.308) my friends Remington pump, a .270 (Ruger M-77) and my favorite the 30-06 (Ruger M-77). I also hunt in a shotgun only section of the state and have put a hurtin on em with a 12 Ga. slug. I just purchased a Thomson Omega in 50 Cal for this year and cant wait to use that too. From what I've read on this thread all these calibers are suitable for your plan (Don't know if I would actually use a 6.5 on Moose - but then I dont hunt moose...) It's more a matter of what you're comfortable and confident with. When I grab my -06 I KNOW IN MY HEART that if I see a deer I want - it's mine, and when loaded in the 150 - 165 Grain bullet range the deer dont move 3 feet from where I thump 'em. As my Pop's said "If it aint broke don't fix it", and I see no use in changing. A 12 Guage slug at 30 feet usually pile drives 'em into the dirt pretty fast too!

I SHOT THIS MOOSE WITH A RUGER M77 6.5MMSWEDE, NORMA 156gr "ALASKA" AMMO.

Old 05-05-2005, 02:16 AM

Well I wouldn't choose either. When I was startin' out I did get a Model 94 Swede, it bein' the most expensive rifle I could afford. I've used some version of the 6.5mm scheme ever since. I've probably owned an example of another 20 different cartridges and none of them was able to scare a game animal to death, I had to hit him in the vitals.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:50 PM

none of them was able to scare a game animal to death, I had to hit him in the vitals.
what other shot is there?? if it not a head or a heart shot what else you aimin for =)
Old 05-05-2005, 02:13 PM
Typical Buck

Everyone is mentioning Remington as being the gun of choice here. Narrow down the caliber that you want and make sure you take a good look at what Savage has to offer. You can get into a Savage rifle probably cheaper than you could a Remington and the only thing the Rem guys have on you is "maybe" a better looking rifle. Good luck.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

You mentioned inexpensive plinking. A high power rifle -- and both .30-30 and .30-06 qualify as high power rifles -- probably should not be employed for "plinking," which I assume means casual off-hand shooting at rocks, cans, bottles, etc., as you wander around outside, perhaps in a field or in the woods. When shooting high power rifles you need to be very mindful of what is behind your target and where your bullet might go if you miss or penetrate your target without dissipating most of the kinetic energy of your bullet. You need to be mindful of richochet risk and avoid it. If your definition of "plinking" includes taking this much care and caution, then by all means use high power rifles for "plinking."

Compare the prices of ammunition at Wal Mart. While less powerful cartridges such as the .25-06 may consume less powder and lower weight bullets, this doesn't mean they are cheaper! Because the .30-06 is so widely used, the ammunition for the .30-06 may be as cheap as any other deer-worthy cartridge. If you reload, the less powerful cartridges are less expensive to reload, but it doesn't sound like you are at this stage.

As someone has pointed out, the .30-06 is very versatile. I think most people would agree that it is adequate for any big game hunting in the lower 48 states. Some people will say that it is at the lower end of the scale of adequate cartridges for elk, but most say it is a reasonable minimum for elk and moose. While most people will tell you that you should use something more powerful for grizzly bear and alaskan brown bear, the fact is that many of these bear have been taken by the .30-06 in the past. Yet the .30-06 is not too much gun for pronghorn antelope or deer. Out to 300 yards, the .30-06 is adequately flat shooting when using appropriate bullets for the animals you are hunting. This is a good high power rifle cartridge to start with. This doesn't mean you can't have other rifles later. When I go hunting -- usually out of state -- I like to have a second rifle available to me in case my primary rifle goes on the fritz (some mechanical problem, I drop the rifle out of a tree and break the scope or some other damage, etc.). Having a backup means my hunt isn't ruined if my first rifle is out of service. A .30-06 can arguably be used as a back-up rifle for all or your hunts. Because it is so common, you can buy .30-06 ammunition anywhere ammunition is sold, for example in Spotted Horse, Wyoming when you discover you left your ammunition on the coffee table at home in Dallas, Texas! Try getting some rare and unusual ammunition in Spotted Horse, Wyoming! (Nothing against Spotted Horse, just a small, remote place)

Quick Reply: Newbie Gun Caliber question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.