Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I don't like hunting

Old 04-27-2005, 06:18 PM
Veg

Default I don't like hunting

But I come here in peace. I didn't come here to yell at you guys (and gals) for hunting. I don't like it, I don't eat meat (please don't bug me on this, it was my choice and I'm not going to change my mind)...however, I can't really stop everyone from hunting, so I'll just ask you all real nicely to please try and make it a clean kill, don't let the animal suffer and track down your wounded animals.

Besides that, I came here with a question about deer, seemed logical to come to a hunting site. Anyways, I live in Michigan, have a pretty big back yard, about 1/3 meadow and 2/3 woods. My house is on a hill overlooking our pool and property that banks the river. I enjoy watching the many animals that come by and also enjoy listening to the coyotes howling before I go to sleep (while dreaded school the next day), but I would like to get more deer in my backyard. I haven't seen any for awhile, we used to have two or three does that would come by every so often...but not anymore. We did have a buck, it was only a 4 point though, but we haven't seen him in months.

Do you know of any fairly cheap ways to attract the deer and turkeys to my yard? And any fairly cheap ways to hear more coyotes?

Thanks.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: I don't like hunting

yep it is called corn
around my area it costs around 3.15 a 50# bag
you can easily make a feeder out of a 30 gallon galvinized garbage can
you can fit 3 bags in the can and it should last 3-4 weeks depending on deer levels
but since you have coyotes in your area this could be a bad thing for the deer see all the deer will come in and feed making them easy targets for coyoties if the coyoties are desperate enough to come close to your house then you will end up with deer being attacked by coyotes but it is your decision if this is what you want to do or not
Old 04-27-2005, 06:36 PM
Typical Buck

yep its called corn
around my area it costs 3.15 for a 50# bag which lasts me 3-4 weeks
the only problem is that if you have coyotes then a feeder makes the deer easy food targets for the coyotes which would have a very harsh affect on the deer herd in your area and a coyote attack is a very grusome thing to see
but it is up to you if this is what you would like or not
Old 04-27-2005, 06:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't think you will find a hunter on this board that doesn't do their best to get a quick humane kill while hunting. To not do so isn't viewed very nicely.
A simple corn feeder is probably your best bet to attact and keep deer in your area. If you at one time had a large deer population and now they are gone sounds like the deer over populated and possibly died. With the absence of natural predators, it is necessary to maintain the deer herd population with the best method, namely hunting.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:04 PM
Typical Buck

How about changing your post title to "Need help attracting wildlife" instead? Would that not be more logical?
Old 04-27-2005, 07:12 PM

If legal in your state you may also want to put out salt or mineral blocks for deer. I love hearing coyotes too. I suggest leaving your window opened at nite (during warm weather of course). When I hear them during the nite I always run to the window until they are done. Certin times of the year they are more vocal than other times. I also wanted to say, although I hunt, I truely love and resepct all wildlife. A clean kill is a must.
My site: www.pbase.com/mlo3135127
Old 04-27-2005, 07:37 PM

mlo3135127, Thanks for sharing your web page those turkey pics were GREAT. Did you take them?

Veg. deer and yotes are not a good combo I killed a yote that was tryin to catch a fawn. In my state you can kill them year round. If you want to hear yotes I have found that if there are any in the area and you go out and yelp loud they might start up. If you have trees in your yard you could put up a gravity feeder get a PVC pipe a big one about 3 -4 foot tall and 5in wide and tie it to a tree and put the corn to it.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:06 PM

well, i have some advice for you. DO NOT FEED THE DEER IN YOUR YARD!!

I wish everyone would just stop this practice. see, you increase the chances of the deer congregating in a small area, which can lead to unnatural population distributions and can lead to the spread of CWD and TB. So please, i know its great to have deer in your backyard, but just dont. It's better thaat way. if you want to see deer, put out a trail camera or start hunting.

as for being a nonhunting vegan, look at science..we were not meant to be plant eaters there bud. thats why our eyes face forward and we have canines and incisors.

slayer
Old 04-27-2005, 08:11 PM

If you put corn out and attract the turkey the coyotes will follow. You will do more harm than good.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:33 PM

Veg....Welcome to "The other side". First off....pay no attention to some on here, as with any corner in this world, there are some bad apples in this bunch too. That being said, I can help you in your efforts. As has already been stated, corn is a good attractant and cheap. However, I prefer a product called course 14. It is made by the company Blue Seal. It is a sweet feed that the wildlife can't resist, deer and turkeys especialy. You can gett it at your local farmers supply store. It costs about $7-$8 a bag and you will go through about a bag a week in the summer per 12 deer, and 2-3 bags a week in the winter per 12 deer. Although automatic feeders are very accomodating, I prefer to feed every day myself. I use a 5 gallon bucket and fill it about 1/4 full in summer, and 1/2 full in winter. After filling the bucket, I walk out back and make about a dozen small piles with it, that way, they can all get some, not just the dominant animals. Feed them in the exact places every day as deer are creatures of habit. And remember, your not actually "feeding" them, your just giving them a treat to keep them coming back. The advantage of doing it this way is that the deer will actualy get used to you, and over time, get to know you. When this happens, you can get pretty close to them and it actualy adds to the pleasure. As far as what time of day to feed, in the summer, i feed in the afternoon, a couple hours before dark. In the winter, morning and evening. Good luck, be patient, and enjoy. A couple side notes I would like to add...In the winter, if you feed, you can't stop.....you have to see it through. They will come to somewhat depend on it. And forget what all the nay sayers say in response to this....some people read too much crap that the so called "experts" say. This is a somewhat hot topic in the hunting community.
Have fun!
Moose

Quick Reply: I don't like hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.