Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I don't like hunting

Old 04-28-2005, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: I don't like hunting

I forgot to mention, .... As a rule the majority of Anti hunters are booted due to the fact as many know they are rude and hunt ing and/or firearms are attacked. Kudos to this individual for being honest. That took alot more guts than some might think to even join and subsequent post. Just a thought.
When you post folks please be aware of how you represent yourselves, the board and the pastime/way of life we all love! Thank you!
Old 04-29-2005, 05:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Veg
thanks for being civil.
While there is nothing wrong with wanting to help out animals and take care of them, there is a limit to how far that should be taken. My sister works for a vet, and both her and my mom volunteer at animal shelters, which is great. Some of the extremes these animal protection groups go to is HIGHLY uncalled for. Be careful in choosing to join or support them. there are 2 different humane societies, one for taking care of pets, the other to abolish hunting. The problem with most of these organizations is trying to humanize animals, which is bad. Yes animals are cute, cuddly, can be excellent companions but they are not people. Keeping an open mind as you have will get you further in life. Heck I know a vegetarian that goes fishing. Be healthy with your diet, make sure you are getting the proper nutrition without eating meat.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Veg

Also, about being a veggie: I do eat other things like bread and fruit. I also eat cheese (you don't have to kill the cow) and eggs (you don't have to kill the chicken). I buy UNFERTILIZED eggs, that means there's no baby chicken in there. One time we did get a fertilized egg, we had scrambled eggs for breakfast, cracked open that egg and PLOP! out came a half-formed chicken.

Thanks to everyone else who posted, please continue, I'm getting more and more ideas.
Veg, I understand your thinking behind what you do although I don't agree with it just as you don't agree with hunting but like you said. We're not here to argue but rather inform each other. First off, seeing as how you drink milk, and milk only comes from female cows what do you think happens to all the male cows that you don't need to get your milk? Also buy buying "unfertalized" eggs (which all eggs are) the egg producers once again only need female chicks. In order to save money they sex the chicks before they waste money feeding males they don't need. At this point all the male chicks are sperated and killed a few days after hatching so you can eat "unfertalized" eggs but "not kill a chicken". Seems to me alot of things you do require killing more animals than those of us do by eating meat.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:02 AM

Somebody's rousing a hornet's nest here (with no evidence to support his points.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:20 PM

please veg, dont put corn out. corn is extremely acidic, and if you suddenly introduce deer to it, it can be DEADLY to them. it can destroy their stomach because it's so acidic. just plant a small food plant. just dont go pouring corn out. not only will you negatively affect deer distribution, but you can increase the chance of spreading of disease and parasites.

slayer
Old 04-29-2005, 01:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Veg,

Well you came into our boards with peace in mind and didn't try to start anything so that's respectable. Being out here where i am the lack of deer is a big problem so i couldn't help you out there lol

As for this part
so I'll just ask you all real nicely to please try and make it a clean kill, don't let the animal suffer and track down your wounded animals.

As a hunter, we always try to make clean kills and track down the animals. The people who delibrately shoot an animal for fun with no intentions of food or pursuit afterwards is no hunter though.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Veg, I did not post to much your direction last night as I was busy following an idiot around the board that was attempting to cause trouble. My apologies for the crass and rude posts towards you, and my thanks to the member that PM'd me with the heads up.

Alot of the guys have posted so I felt that I needed to post my .02.
And I do not think I have ever told this story to anyone on this board! The only reason I do so now is so that you can see perhaps that hunting and hunters are more of a good thing than you perhaps may think.

Many years ago I too was a vegatarian and I ate NO meat whatsoever, nada. I was that way for 10 years. I also am a biology and botony nut which in a nutshell means that I have spent years in the woods learning about wildlife and plants, in addition to the fact that I became an excellent marksman when I was quite young and loved to shoot. It finally dawned on me that learning how to be an herbalist and a hunter would be very valuable skills to have, as no one knows just what will happen in this world. Might sound silly but that was my mindset and what I set out to accomplish.

So many years later I am proud of the fact that now as a woman and the mother of a young son......if I had to hit the hillside tomorrow, I could do so and my son and I would survive. I've found and have met so many good, down to earth people that hunt. The vast majority of us detest poachers, idiots that do not have a clue about what they are doing in the woods and wound animals, leave their trash and are for the most part nothing but slobs. We DETEST them!!! They are not hunters......and have no clue. Those of us that are true hunters here as stated prior, are stewards of the land, wildlife and all things nature offers. We respect it and take care of it contrary to popular belief.

As for bringing in the deer to watch...yes, they are a pleasure. My son and I can sit on our living room couch, or out on our deck and watch them year round. There is even 1 matriarch doe that comes down and paws at the edge of my deck when she wants a treat of apples or sweet feed in the Winter. She also in the Spring, brings her fawns down into the upper field when they are about 2-3 weeks old to show them off.
The best advice you have received is to plant food plots, set a salt block in an old stump, or on the ground, and or set up a corn feeder that does not put out that much corn....just enough to keep them coming in for a treat and browse whatever is growing in your plots. Trust me they each have their own personality....

As far as coyotes I too love to hear them sing, but I know what they will do to a grown deer foundered in the snow and to a young fawn just born![:@][:@] They will eat them alive, or just pick until they are full then leave them to bleed out and freeze to death. I personally kill everyone of them I see on my farm. Yes, I do so cleanly and quickly. They are opportunists that if allowed to take hold and start breeding can get rid of the deer you watch very quickly! If not by eating them, then by running them out of the area. Just a thought and some information that may help. What really gets me is so many do not realize that nature is often much crueler than any man or woman can be.....Sorry to be so graphic but it is the truth.

I truly appreciate your honesty and your open mind it is refreshing for a change. Perhaps you will learn something from this, as will those of us that love to hunt. Infact, its in our blood....difficult to explain though to one that does not. Thank you again for having an open and inquiring mind.

Sincerely,

Christine
Old 04-30-2005, 07:06 AM

ORIGINAL: Deerslayer_37

please veg, dont put corn out. corn is extremely acidic, and if you suddenly introduce deer to it, it can be DEADLY to them. it can destroy their stomach because it's so acidic. just plant a small food plant. just dont go pouring corn out. not only will you negatively affect deer distribution, but you can increase the chance of spreading of disease and parasites.

slayer
Welcome to the boards Veg.

First off....I couldnt agree more with slayer. Please dont feed the deer or any other animals. Its unnatural and is a great way to spread disease.

If you absolutely must feed them to see them, use a feeder that spreads the food. (a broadcast feeder) Also, make sure to vary the foods in the feeder as greatly as you can. Corn, grain, etc. You can also dump small amounts of apples or sweet potatoes, but never pile up the food. Spread it all out.

Your best bet would be like others have said, and to plant a small food plot. It will not only bring the animals in to view, but will provide them with some quality nutrition.

As for the quick humane shots, thats what we strive for. I practice year round with my bow, knowing that I can only enter the woods if Im capable of delivering a quick and humane end to an animals life. Always eat all the meat too. Im sure you will find the majority of hunters are like that. Its the few bad apples that give us all a bad name. If only there was a way to change their ways, or remove them from the sport. Unfortunately, many of the "slob-hunters" arent serious enough about the sport to come on a hunting board and read, learn, and change their views. These are the same type people that drive recklessly, steal, cheat, etc. They come from all walks of life and arent limited to just hunting.

Anyway, Im rambling on about nothing. If I can, I would like to urge you to stay away from orgs such as PETA and the Humane Society. They have hidden agendas and dont honestly do much if anything for animals. What they do is line their pockets with the money of honest, helpful minded people like you. They need this money to pay for lawyers and such when they do illegal activities. They also need it for the court battles to end hunting and food processing, farming etc. Trying to put an end to life as we know it, elevating the animal beyond that of human status. You seem like a very reasonable person, would you want people harrassing your grandfather, trying to put an end to his right to hunt? If not, please look closely at the group(s) you want to send your hard earned dollars to.

Infact if you truly want to help animals, I suggest you volunteer your time or money to your states division of fish, wildlife, non game species etc. The divisions of Fish and wildlife arent soley about hunting. Much of the money they use comes from hunters, but they run many programs, and studies on non-game and edangered wildlife species. Here in NJ you can volunteer your time to help study falcons, tag ducks, tag bears, study the few remaining bald eagles that have been spotted. Its pretty awesome. I think you would enjoy that A LOT. A really great way to watch and learn about wildlife.

If its not for you though, donate your money or time to an animal friendly animal shelter in your area. I say animal friendly because some shelters are anything but friendly. Abusing animals, donating to larger orgs such as PETA....etc. Steer clear of them.

Oh and as for the coyotes, they will come and go with the food. You could try to use a coyote call, but, they dont come around much because the deer arent coming around much. If the deer come back, you will hear the coyotes singing again. Only problem with coyotes is they can have a tremendous impact on small game, turkeys, and young or weak deer. If you find yourself with an abundance of them, it may be best to allow a hunter to harvest some (if legal). If you dont want to do that, notify the Fish and wildlife division, and tell them about the problem coyotes.

Have a good one---Matt
Old 04-30-2005, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

good post Mattiac
Old 05-02-2005, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PoorCollegeKid

Somebody's rousing a hornet's nest here (with no evidence to support his points.

before you go accusing people of trying to stir a hornets nest why don't you actually research my statements. There are tons of sites that describe what sexing a chick is and why we don't use the male chicks. As far as knowing what happens to male holsteins I worked on a dairy farm for years so I know what we do with them. Sounds like you are the one who fealt the need to post a meaningless reply and stir a nest. Now run along and get back to class

Quick Reply: I don't like hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.