Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Fellow Hunter Stabs Us In The Back >

Fellow Hunter Stabs Us In The Back

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Fellow Hunter Stabs Us In The Back

Old 04-22-2005, 08:25 PM

Default Fellow Hunter Stabs Us In The Back

I posted this in the Bow Hunting Forum but thought it might also be of interest here. At present there is debate over extending bow hunting within the municipality. This a letter to the editor that appeared on Wed Apr. 20/05. I think it's called divide & conquer?

The Record (Newspaper)
160 King St. East
Kitchener, Ontario
N2G 4E5

It's time to put an end to bow-hunting

The Record (Kitchener, Cambridge and Waterloo)
Wed 20 Apr 2005
Page: A12
Section: OPINION
Byline: Bruce Thornton
Column: LETTER OF THE DAY

I have been following the bow-hunting debate with increasing interest over the past few weeks. I am a small c Conservative, right-wing gun owner and never considered myself an animal activist. I did a little research on bow hunting and it proved to be a real wake-up call.

It became apparent that it is a very inefficient way to hunt and has no upside or any place in modern society. I own bows but only use them for target practice with my grandson. Never would I or any hunter I know use a bow for hunting.

There are many irrelevant issues raised by pro-bow hunters (crop damage, vehicles hitting deer, need for culls, deer die and suffer in the wild anyway, bows have been used for thousands of years, it is a "real" sport, etc.), none of which address the real issue -- cruelty. If deer must be killed, then please do it humanely. I have seen pictures of deer walking around with arrows in them and have read many articles relating the suffering other animals go through when impaled with an arrow. It simply is not necessary.

I appreciate Larry Anstett bringing this disgusting and pointless cruelty to every caring person's attention and wish him success in banning bow hunting. Any less would be an affront to a society that prides itself on doing the right thing. I beg our elected officials to stand up and listen to the vast majority of citizens who find this "sport" repulsive.

We have moved on from so many things that were once considered acceptable but have been shown for what they are --anachronistic.

Please write or call your local legislator if you find, as I do, that it is past time to end this barbaric practice.

Bruce Thornton

New Hamburg

If you’re as upset as I was over an apparent fellow hunter literally stabbing us in the back you can send a letter to the Editor as I did; [email protected] And it doesn't matter which side of the border we're on. This crap damages all of us.

gg.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:28 PM

Default RE: Fellow Hunter Stabs Us In The Back

This is the letter I wrote to the Editor

The Record
160 King St. East
Kitchener, Ontario
N2G 4E5

The Editor

It will not surprise me if I don’t see my letter in print but I feel the need to express my informed opinion to you. As a hunter for over 50 years with knowledge of many aspects of hunting including bow hunting I have to wonder where it was that Mr. Thornton did his research. And I strongly suspect the basis for his research must have been the inaccurate rhetoric and propaganda being spewed by the animal rights and anti-hunting groups because it has no basis in fact. If Mr. Thornton really is a hunter he should know that it is always the criteria of a hunter to make a clear accurate shot to the vitals to ensure a humane quick kill regardless if using a rifle or bow. To say there are deer walking about the woods with arrows sticking out of them is ridiculous in the extreme. I also have to wonder if Mr. Thornton is possibly falsely portraying himself as a hunter to try and give credibility to his true anti-hunting agenda.

Yours truly
Old 04-23-2005, 09:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

This guy never hunted anything but rubber ducks , and he was probably under gunned for that .

If you know what I mean.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

If deer must be killed, then please do it humanely. I have seen pictures of deer walking around with arrows in them and have read many articles relating the suffering other animals go through when impaled with an arrow.
i dont wanna sound like im against hunting or anything, but even with rifle hunting some people dont make clean kills, and he's not complaining about that. i love bowhunting and im gonna continue to do it
Old 04-23-2005, 07:34 PM
Typical Buck

Looks like an anti in wolves clothing to me.... Not a hunter....No way!
Old 04-24-2005, 01:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have been following the bow-hunting debate with increasing interest over the past few weeks. I am a small c Conservative, right-wing gun owner and never considered myself an animal activist. I did a little research on bow hunting and it proved to be a real wake-up call.

It became apparent that it is a very inefficient way to hunt and has no upside or any place in modern society. I own bows but only use them for target practice with my grandson. Never would I or any hunter I know use a bow for hunting.

There are many irrelevant issues raised by pro-bow hunters (crop damage, vehicles hitting deer, need for culls, deer die and suffer in the wild anyway, bows have been used for thousands of years, it is a "real" sport, etc.), none of which address the real issue -- cruelty. If deer must be killed, then please do it humanely. I have seen pictures of deer walking around with arrows in them and have read many articles relating the suffering other animals go through when impaled with an arrow. It simply is not necessary.
All this points to a individual who doesn't hunt. Agree 100% anti playing the part and not well at that. I hope a real hunters rebuttal finds print to combat this yahoo's comments.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:57 AM
Typical Buck

i used to have my own opinions about bow hunting but then instead of whining about it i learned how to use a bow and have been a bow huntin' fool ever since.
seems like he is voicing his opinions based on emotions and not the facts.
yes things don't always go the way we want them to but that is part of life in every situation....may it be huntin' or bakin' a cake but emotions should be left out of it.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

This is just ANOTHER example of "THE MAN" wanting to hold us "Red Men" down!! .. "Sitting Bull" would roll over in his grave if he read this.

"Doc" or better known in My tribe as "Runny Nose"
Old 04-24-2005, 12:10 PM

No way this guy is a hunter.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

If he was really a hunter he would know that making a good shot with a bow will kill a deer just as humanely as with a rifle!!

Quick Reply: Fellow Hunter Stabs Us In The Back

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.