Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Calif. lawmakers vote to ban Internet hunting >

Calif. lawmakers vote to ban Internet hunting

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Old 04-22-2005, 10:17 AM

Default Calif. lawmakers vote to ban Internet hunting

http://news.com.com/Calif.+lawmakers...l?tag=nefd.top

Published: April 21, 2005, 3:42 PM PDT
By Reuters

California state senators approved a bill on Thursday that would ban hunters from killing animals over the Internet.

Hunters can currently stalk prey online at Live-shot.com, a Web site linking firearms and cameras so customers can point, click and shoot antelope, sheep and wild hogs on a Texas ranch from thousands of miles away.

Live-shot.com is the only Web site of its kind, and California lawmakers voted 25-6 to deter imitators.

"It's an over-the-top, pay-per-view video game using live animals for target practice that ought to be banned from coast-to-coast," said Sen. Debra Bowen, the bill's author.

"Pay-per-view hunting doesn't meet any definition of 'sporting' that I've ever heard because there's nothing 'sporting' about sitting at your computer in your pajamas, using your mouse to shoot at hogs or antelope or any other animal that's halfway across the country," Bowen said.

Her bill bars remote hunting in California and would ban anyone from operating a hunting Web site in the state.

The bill would also ban the import of animals into California killed over a remote hunting Web site, and violators would face up to six months in jail and fines of up to $1,000.

The operator of Live-shot.com was not immediately available for comment, but customer Dale Hagberg of Ligonier, Ind., who is paralyzed from the neck down, defended the Web site and criticized California lawmakers.

"They don't realize who the site is for. It's designed to help people like me, not just lazy hunters," said Hagberg, who plans to use the Web site again after an initial and unsuccessful hunt.

Bowen's bill now goes to California's Assembly. Fourteen other states are discussing similar bans, and a federal bill would outlaw Internet-based hunting across the United States.

California lawmakers in recent years have taken up a number of animal-friendly bills, including legislation aimed at stopping foie gras production, sharply limiting the practice of cropping dogs' ears, and legalizing ferret ownership.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:53 PM

Default RE: Calif. lawmakers vote to ban Internet hunting

Thank God they're banning it. It's a tremendous black eye on our sport.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:55 PM

I never really hated it but i never really liked it. to me, it sort of has two sides.
one side: its like going on the internet, shooting an animal, and having pork chops the next day. it also gives disabled people a chance to hunt.

second side: anyone can just go on the interent and shoot animals for the fun of it with no intention of buying the meat. shots could also become carless and game could be wounded.

Im not going either way on the matter though.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good deal
Old 04-22-2005, 07:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

IMHO they should have made those stretched out possums (ferrets) legal game.
Old 04-23-2005, 07:03 AM

ORIGINAL: rick_reno

Hunters can currently stalk prey online at Live-shot.com, a Web site linking firearms and cameras so customers can point, click and shoot antelope, sheep and wild hogs on a Texas ranch from thousands of miles away.

Live-shot.com is the only Web site of its kind, and California lawmakers voted 25-6 to deter imitators.
Is this correct? I understood he was planning to go from his present target shooting to real animal shooting, but had not yet done so. Texas is also trying to stop him through legislation.

Edit - I just went to his site and as best I could tell, there is no animal shooting yet. Guess I can take off my smelly camo & boots and get back into my polyester for some more internet dating.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:12 PM

BAN IT!!!!!!!
Old 04-25-2005, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

That website is just stupid!!
Old 04-26-2005, 07:20 AM

Although it shouldn't be called hunting, I don't have any problem with it. I put it in the same group as walking into a grocery store and pointing out which fish you what taken from the tank. That's not fishing but no one is complaining. At Live-shot your choosing your steaks and chops on the hoof.

As I read their site, a guy is sitting in a blind with the computer and its up to him to release the safety before you shoot. The animal is butchered and you decide to either have the meat sent to you or donated to a food bank.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:44 AM
Typical Buck

well, california finally did something right. never liked the idea from the start. so many bad things could come from this

Quick Reply: Calif. lawmakers vote to ban Internet hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.