Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Getting your wife to enjoy hunting? >

Getting your wife to enjoy hunting?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Getting your wife to enjoy hunting?

Old 04-22-2005, 02:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Getting your wife to enjoy hunting?

Yea thats always a good way to bring upon lots of problems.
I was referring about moving not hunting
Old 04-22-2005, 06:09 AM
Typical Buck

I'm gonna miss her.......
Old 04-23-2005, 08:41 AM

If she's a big city girl, you should just move with her to Paris and hunt deer on Live-Shot.com.

Sorry, that wasn't any help. All I can offer is understanding, my wife's the same. Even though we're soulmates with a great relationship, the only thing she likes about hunting is the needed occasional break from me.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Its just like an old dog . No point in trying to teach her any new tricks.
If you are attached to her, you could visit her in the off season ,if not get a new one that has a better line of breeding .Maybe one that has been trained by a pro.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:40 AM
Typical Buck

even though i grew up with a major PETA supporter...makes me cringe everytime i think about it[:'(]...i somehow always enjoyed the outdoors and playin' in the woods/swamps so i had somewhat of an open mind when a buddy asked me to go huntin'...our first date was a hog hunt...as soon as i set foot in the woods with a gun i knew my life would never be the same...i just didn't have a clue how much my life would change....the first couple of years i went a lot but always with him...if i got tired he'd let me sleep in the blind or he'd take me back to camp.....i got to take pictures....he never pushed me or made me do anything i didn't feel comfortable with (like hunting from a treestand. i am scared to death of heights)...we spent a lot of time scoutin' or going shooting.....now after 10yrs of marriage we both live to hunt...i'm just as addicted as he is (if not more)....we don't get to hunt together much anymore but everytime i sit my happy butt in a treestand (i put my fears aside for deer season only) i am extremely thankful that he introduced me to huntin' and had the patience that it took to let me develope into my own hunter. It is the greatest gift he could have ever got me.

i really hope your wife will have an open mind too....maybe 10yrs from now she'll be on the internet tryin' to give a fellow hunter advice on how to get his wife into the woods.
i wish you the best of luck.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

I married a hunter. My wife hunted since early childhood so I didn't have to do a thing. She is a farm girl and was raised knowing about harvesting crops and game animals. We will be hunting together for the 37th year this Fall God willing. Keep in mind that a good marriage is not finding the right person, its being the right person.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hi, My name is Katrina, and i am Jepcho's fiance, I knew the gist about the outdoors before we had met but hadn't ever really done anything actually outdoors since i was six. Joel took me out and we shot a .22 at spinning targets, and actually hitting one was awesome. A little while later after i was comfortable, he bought clay pigions and i took a hand at those, My gun didn't have much kick so that helped me get more comfortable shooting. After i felt comfortable handling a firearm we went to the woods, where i got my first deer ever with a shotgun. I don't know if you do much bow hunting, but going to the archery range after Joel bought me my own bow was cool too. I haven't got a kill with it yet but just perfecting my shot so i can hit the bullseye is very fun. Don't go right to the guts with her if she's a city folk,,, that will just gross her out.
Hope I helped,
Katrina (A.K.A Jepcho's woman )
Old 04-25-2005, 07:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you actually get her out hunting, try to avoid taking her out on unpleasant days -- too cold or rainy. Don't take her hunting all day long. Hunt for a couple of hours in the morning and then go to a comfortable diner or country cafe for breakfast. Brouse through an antique shop or something and leisurely return to the hunting ground for two hours in the afternoon. A dedicated hunter, of course, may get to the hunting site more than an hour before shooting light and stay in the field until shooting light is over in the evening, rain or shine, freezing cold or not, peeing in a bottle in the tree stand, gnawing on beef jerky and drinking water . . . this would NOT be the way to seduce your wife into being a deer hunter, I suspect.

Women are social creatures rather than solitary creatures, in my opinion. If there is a way to make her deer hunting social, this may be better. I don't know how you hunt, but if were possible for you to hunt with your wife -- sit in a ground blind or elevated blind with her, talking quietly, commenting on the sights and sounds while waiting for a deer to show up.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

I love my wife tremendously and think the world of her but for the love of Jesus I would never want her in the woods or deer camp with me. Hunting time is my time away from the kids and her and work and everything else, and when the kids are old enough it will be their time w/me. This is not a Mommy and me date nor a playdate. I consider hunting far too serious for that. She understands that this is my time with friends and I get to act like a moron with no guilt. If your'e comfortable with her by your side then all the more power to you.
Amen Zoom. Amen. My fiancee is a city girl, she likes trendy handbags, UGG boots and getting her hair done. My time to hunt is her time to play with her hair and shop with her friends, and I like it that way. Frankly, I don't want to even entertain the thought of dragging her along for my time with the guys. My advice is that you can show her the advantages of suburban/rural life without actually teaching her to hunt/fish. I did convince my girl that it's fun to go spotting. She gets in her little pajamas and blanket and mans the spotlight if it's nice out. That's about as "outdoorsy" as it gets.

We also do a little running and gardening outside together. Those are things that city life doesn't offer. She wants a pet really bad, too, so I think a dog's in the works - No pets allowed in the downtown apartment : )
Old 04-25-2005, 09:10 AM
Dominant Buck

While I have little doubt that my wife would make a wonderful hunting partner ,
but she has shown little interest to date . She also has a bum shoulder , so guns and bows are out for her . I don't think she would have any interest in just doing the calling , and hauling gear is also out . Pity , on dull days she really would come in handy ...

Quick Reply: Getting your wife to enjoy hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.