HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   use of a quad (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/97757-use-quad.html)

troutdudes 04-18-2005 09:11 PM

use of a quad

Hi I am thinking of putting out an add in the local paper asking for a cheap quad will pay $300 dollars for it. I am hoping that somebody just wants the quad off their hands and will just say take it for 300 bucks. Do you think it will work? Plus I wanted to know what the use of a quad would be and why don't I just get a dirtbike? Thanks guys hope I can get some good answers.

mark

bsteve 04-18-2005 09:44 PM

RE: use of a quad

Good luck, I doubt you'll find anything in running condition for that price. It's a lot easier to haul a deer out on a quad than a bike.

skeeter 7MM 04-18-2005 11:25 PM

Well I doubt you can even find a 3 wheeler for that price so a quad would be a real stretch!!

What I use my quad for is as follows:
Hunting - dragging animals, setup up bear baits, hanging stands, getting deep, scouting and shed hunting.
Utility - hauling at the cabin/farm - wood, rocks, sand, garbage, fishing remote areas or ice fishing, etc
Fun - balming around at the cabin/farms with the kids/wife.

The dirt bike just wouldn't cut for me in any of my usage but when I was younger the Fun factor was much more important than much else! Now a days with the quads that is really not a big concern unless your heavy into sand riding where most utility type quads don't fair as well. No they won't keep up with the dirt bike buddies but then again when it is your turn to lead very few will pass you[8D]!

Best of luck finding one or something that works!

rick_reno 04-19-2005 07:33 AM

I have both a quad (Honda Foreman) and a dirt bike (KTM 250EXE). I would even consider trying to haul an animal out on my dirt bike, but have done it a couple of times with the quad. You might find one for that price, but it's going to be difficult. Do they have one of those free papers that gets distributed in grocery stores where you live? I'd start looking there.

VAhuntr 04-19-2005 11:18 AM

In my area you would be lucky to find one that runs for under 1000....I have seen a few for around 800 but needed lots of work. Remember in most cases you get what you pay for.

Allseasonhunter7 04-19-2005 12:00 PM

where are you located?

troutdudes 04-19-2005 12:16 PM

I'm located in saskatchewan, canada.

Allseasonhunter7 04-20-2005 05:13 PM

cant help yea im in cny i have a trike used veyr little neeeds minimal work

Hunter06FlKy 04-20-2005 06:42 PM

four wheelers are really helpful. you can cover alot of ground and then use it to carry your kill. the dirt bike wouldn't be to helpful for that use. you can also use the quad for stuff other than hunting. like what skeeter was saying above.

PaRu 04-20-2005 08:33 PM

I would check with an atv dealer i picked up a nice yamaha kodiak 400 4x4 for just a 1000 dollars and they let me pay it off before i picked it up.