Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Divided we fall

Old 04-14-2005, 03:18 PM

Default RE: Divided we fall

Bob H in NH

Below I've pasted a quote from the article Divided We Fall. I think it's an important paragraph because it sums up the point the author is trying to make.

"The first step is a relatively simple one: it`s time to condemn those who attack hunting rather than arguing with each other. Obviously, there is no way that hunters can ever agree on the myriad issues that arise in any tough debate. However, we can learn to recognize that our attitudes can be adjusted in order to achieve the common good, which is the perpetuation of hunting, the preservation of wildlife habitat and a continuation of the heritage and traditions that millions of us hold dear."

The reason I posted the article is because I thought it was important for all of us hunters to understand that although we may disagree on various issues related to hunting - and there certainly a number of issues that we SHOULD be debating - we can not become so absorbed by our differences of opinions that we lose sight of the fact that ALL hunters must be united in our efforts to ensure a sound future for hunting. We ALL have a vested interest in ensuring that hunting thrives and it does all of us no good to get to the point where our disagreements become more of our focus than our goals for hunting. As we say in business we don't want to get so focused on the "process" that we forget the "purpose."

So, by all means debate away, but at the end of the day let's make sure that everyone understands - hunters and nonhunters alike - that we are committed to "...the perpetuation of hunting, the preservation of wildlife habitat and a continuation of the heritage and traditions that millions of us hold dear."

Ant
Old 04-15-2005, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with EVERYTHING you just posted, 100%.

My point was, I hear people use the "we have to stick together" argument, when it simply isn't always true. There are issues in "hunting" that I, and some others, completely 100% disagree with and feel they are BAD for hunting and will do nothing to grow and protect hunting. On these issues, such as canned hunting as an example, I feel hunters backing them just for the sake of "sticking together" do nothing but hurt hunting as a hole.

However, your point about debate of much of what gets debated is valid. There is a line there where one should not cross just for the sake of sticking together.

the problem often becomes the definition of the label. By this I mean labels such as "fenced hunting", "trophy hunting", "canned hunting". these can be defined, and often are, so that they are legit hunting, however they also can be defined to be reprehensible and things that if we defend do nothing but hurt hunting as a whole. That is why whenever I get into a debate about topics such as those, first thing I ask is "define xxxx", then I frame my argument from that.

Blind obedience for the sake of uniform support, is wrong.

--Bob
Old 04-15-2005, 06:39 AM

Great post and I truly appreciate your efforts Ant. I can hardly wait for my book to arrive.

It is becoming ever more important for hunters to take a more assertive hands on approach to defending hunting then we have in past generations. As the number of new hunter contines to decrease, those of us left in the sport have to put forth that much more effort defending our heritage.

I'm not sure what it will take to get people involved. It took a hard fought and closely won battle with the anti's for me to realize what's truly at stake. The anti's are organized and focused and will not stop until they achieve their goals. In my state they funded a referendum to ban bear hunting over bait. They pumped in millions of out of state dollars and damn near acomplished their goals. Luckily it ended up being a costly experience for them as the measure was defeated(only by 7% of the vote).

If we don't wake up and get active we are going to learn some hard lessons in the decades to come.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:01 AM

Bob H in NH

I like that approach about "define xxxx." I'm sure that saves everyone a ot of frustration too.

Adams

The anti's are organized and focused and will not stop until they achieve their goals. In my state they funded a referendum to ban bear hunting over bait.
If we don't wake up and get active we are going to learn some hard lessons in the decades to come.
Right you are in your above quotes. In NJ we have seen hunting privledges erode significantly over the decades. Recently we had the state supreme court OVER-RULE Fish and Game and say that the commissioner of the DEP has final say over wildlife issues. The commissioner was against a bear hunt which had scientific documentation that it was needed. Politics has now encroached on wildlife management practices in NJ - no longer are biologists and empirical evidence needed to manage wildlife. All you need is a commissioner with a particular political leaning and ultimately that is how game limits - if any - can be decided.

This political affiliation goes even deeper in NJ. The commissioner and his allies are trying to add 3 anti-hunters to the fish and game council, and remove 3 hunters/farmers from the committee. Remind you that the majority of the funding for fish and game comes from hunters in the form of fees, licenses, and back to the state from the feds P.R. taxes collected.

So if anyone out there doesn't think time is of the essance with respect to the future of hunting just pay a visit to NJ. BTW - don't bring your rifle because you can't use it in NJ except in a few circumstances and watch out for deer because their are so many their roadkill are fixtures on NJ roads. Oh yea, watch where you step there are so many geese that feces is everywhere.

Ant