Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

gut hook or not

Old 03-30-2005, 10:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: gut hook or not

I have found most gut hooks are small and plug up to fast, therefore I don't use one. I prefer just a drop blade.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

The only part about a gut hook is that I have a hard time keeping a good sharp edge on the hook part. Got to be an easy way, other than that it is very handy.
I have seen people use a fish hook sharpener to do that. But I dont think I ve ever seen one dull since I only use them on the skin.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:50 PM

these are the ones i use for my gutting and skinning:

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/st...l.html?s=BU691

and i also use this one:

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/st...html?s=BU119BR

when i bought them they come razor sharp allready, i really like them, the one with the gut hook is handy, couldnt imagine not having one
Old 03-30-2005, 02:23 PM

I have a gerber gut knife and I love it! buy it bud
Old 03-30-2005, 03:22 PM

I like my Wyoming knife. It has a nice large blade that never seems to dull. I've tried the blades that have the small gut hook on the end and they clog up on me.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:35 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

The only part about a gut hook is that I have a hard time keeping a good sharp edge on the hook part. Got to be an easy way, other than that it is very handy.
I got one from Gerber that uses a blade from a box cutter. It was about $10. If a guy feels the need for one, I'd recomend it. It works good and it does make that 2 minute part of the job a piece of cake. I liked the blade thing it's sharp as a razor and easy to replace or sharpen when it needs it.

My only thing about them is the job just isn't that big of a deal that I would switch from a knife I like because of it. If I needed a knife and all other things equal I'd probably go for the one with the gut hook.

I've never owned one but how the heck would you sharpen one of those things?
Old 03-31-2005, 09:16 AM

Love the gut hook for field dressing and initial opening but prefer a 4 to 6 inch filet knife for caping and in areas with little to no space. But the best way when it has been available to me was an air compressor we used to have one at our lease and instead of field dressing we would put a small slit in the leg push the knozzle in and blow the hide right off. Granted it is not very practical out in the boonies.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:08 PM

i want a knife with a gut hook should make cleaing for you alot easier
Old 03-31-2005, 02:30 PM

yes i would definitly shoose either knife............ a gut hook is very useful to get in those hard to reach areas
Old 03-31-2005, 06:39 PM

I've got a Kershaw with a gut hook and love it. It takes some getting used to though, I have nicked myself a few times with it but that's my own dumb fault!

Quick Reply: gut hook or not

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.