Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Purchased new feeder today, have a few questions >

Purchased new feeder today, have a few questions

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Purchased new feeder today, have a few questions

Old 03-27-2005, 03:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default Purchased new feeder today, have a few questions

bought the On Time "Fat Boy 2" with a 200 lb tri-pod hopper. I am concerned about the unit getting tipped over and would like suggestions. If i bury the legs 2 feet or so, the bottom of the spinner will be 3 1/2 feet above the ground, too low. I am worried hogs will knock it over. The on time does not seem to have a overly sturdy tri pod but the price was right, $80 on sale at bps.

Also, how do i keep squirrels and coons from climbing the legs. We have tons of both.

Last, does it matter what type of corn (shelled or not) or just get a $5 bag and load er up.

any other suggestions are appreciated.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Purchased new feeder today, have a few questions

tealboy...Make you some stakes...about 18 inches long and drive down beside the legs...we do this with rebar and weld 3 inch flat stock to the top, to secure our tower stands...regular shelled corn will work fine...if the legs are metal, probably won't have to worry about coons and squirrels...if not...make a wire basket to cover the feeder so they can't rake out the corn...Good luck...nchawkeye
Old 03-27-2005, 04:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would see if I could mount the feeder on a winch/cable hanging from a tree limb or a line hung between two trees. Then the hogs couldn't get to it and if the sides are slick the squirrels and coons would have a hard time getting to it. Also it is easier to fill if you can let the feeder down to ground level. Use only clean corn or other feed in the feeder. It doesn't take much to stop up the hole.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:17 PM

connect the legs to cupplings and then connect that to another thicker pipe............then place that into the ground about 3-4 feet. that will allow the feeder to be off the ground and allow it to stay in place.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

I would think that if you keep it filled up and maybe sink the legs in the ground about 6 inches or so that you should not have a problem with it tipping over. about the coons you can use axle grease and rub down the legs with it or we have even taken the wooden carpet strips with all the nail in them, wired them to each leg so that when those little rascals reach up there they will think twice.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Seems to me that if you have hogs, they will push the spinner around and spill out all the feed, unless you mount it above where they can reach, of course. Here is what I am doing:

loop a pulley wheel hanging from a branch. run rope over the pulley down to the feeder (mine comes with a cable so it can be hung). use a come along to pull the rope up, using an eye bolt in another tree to hook it to. So once hook in eye bolt, another in a loop in the rope several feet from the end of the rope. When you rachet it in, the feeder goes up and you use the end of the rope to loop onto a lag or wrap around the tree using lags or nails, etc. and tie it off.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:25 PM
Fork Horn

buy some t-posts and wire them to each leg. Thats what all my buddies do around here, and it works very well. I think they even sell some short ones.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:14 AM
Typical Buck

thx for the tips. before getting your posts, i went to lowes and purchased a 10' section of 1 1/2 inch pvc that i was going to split into 1/3s. This would allow me to drive about 1 1/2 feet into the ground and have 1 1/2 feet sticking up. I would then place the leg of the feeder into the tube thinking this would prevent tipping and preserve the height of the feeder by not having to bury the legs, thus shortening the distance of the spinner to the ground. I thought this would be enough, but if not, i suppose i could insert a small bolt thru the pvc and into the metal leg to told it together. I also got a tub of grease for the legs but since the are thin metal, i may not need it since the legs are slippery and thin.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Doubt you are going to have any luck driving PVC 1 1/2 feet into the ground.