Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 question about home made sents >

question about home made sents

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

question about home made sents

Old 03-23-2005, 11:28 AM

Default question about home made sents

Has anybody had any luck with homemade sents?My father and I used an acorn sent he had found online. Does anybody have any ideas or recipies they wanna share? Thanks.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:42 AM

Default RE: question about home made sents

Take a small amount of dry corn and crush it into a fine powder. When you get to your stand throw some of the powdered corn into the air periodically. The corn will travel and the deer will smell the corn and are likely to head in your direction for a taste of the corn.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:06 PM

go to the area you plan on huntint and take some dirt,moss,leaves and other items like that back to your house and place them in a big trash bag. then you can put your clothes and so forth in with it. do this a week or two before you hunt. your clothes should smell like the area you are hunting. i have never done this but i heard it works. good luck
Old 03-23-2005, 08:12 PM

I found some info on making homade scents on this sight before deer season, made some and it worked great. took a 6 point at 15 feet and a doe at 35 after i walked all around the area and both deer where taken from the ground no blinds or anything else
Old 03-23-2005, 08:33 PM

I searched for the post i read and got the info from and here is the original post

RE: Homemade Sce... (in reply to Alpha Predator)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, it will not fade your camo.

However...one thing I have noticed, and have researched a little...

This homemade brew will start to bleach out leather, especially if it has been treated with a waterproof repellant (like Mink oil, Nikwax, etc.).

The peroxide scavenges some of the "elements" of the waterproof compound, and will eventually permeate and oxidize the leather. This can be reversed, and can be solved by applying more waterproofing....but do take note that it may adversely affect your leather apparel, and will eventually make your "waterproof" boots very water soluble...

I have not found any adverse effects on synthetics including neoprene, microfiber, polyester, nylon or composites. I have also not noticed any ill effects on fleece, cotton, or wool.

The original recipe, as posted by Nub about 4 years ago, is as follows:

2 quarts distilled water
2 quarts H2O2
1 cup baking soda
1-2 oz of scent-free liquid soap.

I experimented a little, and found you don't really need the soap (which becomes reactive with the H2O2 and induces much of the foaming) and the baking soda can be reduced to as little as 1/2 cup and increased to 2 cups, depending on how long you want it to "brew". Basically, the more time for "brewing", the less bicarbonate (baking soda) you need.

But basically, the chemistry breaks down to:

The H2O2 scavenges all the free radicals, which form most of the "smell" molecules.
The baking soda, or bicarbonate, acts as a buffer and helps to absorb the reactive scavengers...as compared to carbon, which adsorbs.
The soap, when used, helps to saponify the dirt and molecules which binds them together for longer lasting effect.

S&R

< Message edited by Strut&Rut -- 11/12/2004 8:13:54 PM >
Old 03-23-2005, 09:27 PM
Typical Buck

I saw a small article in Field & Stream once about making scents. I actually tried it and it seemed to work pretty good, but it smelled just a tad pungent. What I did was take a bunch of soil, white oak leaves, acorns from a white oak, twigs, and a few pine needles. I boiled the mixture on a camp stove (outside b/c it smells a little when boiling) and basically boiled it until the water turned brown and had a smell to it. Then I bottled it in a spray bottle.....the only down side is that the sprayer would get clogged after awhile b/c the solution tended to "bunch" back together.

Any more I just use store bought scents.....much less time consuming! lol
Old 03-24-2005, 08:33 AM

Next time you are in the woods scouting, pick up some fallen acorns & pine needles from the ground. Put the acorns & pine needles in water and boil them until they are soft(ten-fifteen minutes). Smash up the acorns and then boil them again. When the water turns real dark colored, strain the mixture and put the liquid away until your next hunt. Put the mixture in a spray bottle for easy application. You now have an effective and all natural cover scent.

Or use what ever is in your area.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:18 PM

here try this one, it should work well for ya

Gallon of distilled water
1/2 box of baking soda
16 oz hydrogen peroxide
2 ounces of Hunters Specialty shampoo/body soap (the green liquid stuff)

1. Pour out 1/4 of the distilled water and save it in a cup
2. Add the soda, peroxide, and shampoo
3. Cap and shake thoroughly
4. Wait tfor bubbles to settle down, then add that leftover water until full
5. Allow to sit for about 2 hours uncapped until the gases stop forming so quickly
6. Cap and store sealed

Hydrogen peroxide turns to water if left out in the air, so keep it sealed. I transfer to a spray bottle for use and add an ounce or so of peroxide to rejuvenate it since some will inevitably turn to water.

I started using this stuff this year and I wasn't scented once. I had deer all around my stand with variable winds and they had no clue I was there. I was also at ground level a few times with deer downwind and they never scented me. Works great if you ask me and its cheap as dirt so don't be afraid to use alot of it.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:09 PM

I take it that this post is refering to cover scents. i dont use them. why bother with a cover scent in a bottle. most everywhere, there are softwood trees. i always try to hunt out of pines myself, or hemlock. all you need to do is take your knife and scrape of some of the bark. not much though. it lets out a wicked stink that works great. every time you hunt the tree after the first time, just scuff up the pitch and its like a new scent post all over again. as natural as you can get. and if your not hunting in a pine, just snap a pine limb off on your way in and crumple up the green ends and rub them all over you. you will absolutely reak like a pine tree. best off all its fast, requires no planning, and its free!