Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

high fence question ?

Old 03-23-2005, 03:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: high fence question ?

This is a personnel decision of the individual. If they are Ok with it thats all that matters.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:48 AM

Where do you go and hunt down there?
Can you hunt Fallows and Axis?

ORIGINAL: lhook7

Two years ago I would have said, "No way!", but I have been hunting exotics behind high fence the last few years, and have changed my views on high fence hunting. I think it would be a good safe place for a child to be introduced to hunting, and, in a large enclosure it is definately a challenging hunt. I have not hunted whitetail behind a high fence, and do not plan to do so. If I kill something large enough to make the book, I want it to be eligible for entry.

If they have exotics in your area, you might look into taking your child on an exotic hunt. Here in Texas they are more affordable than a whitetail hunt, and it would be good experience.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cardeer

This is a personnel decision of the individual. If they are Ok with it thats all that matters.

Yeah, I agree cardeer. That's what got me thinking. Usually I don't care much for high fence but this sounded like a good way to get a child into the sport. I just asked 'cause there are alot of people who are against high fence regardless and I wondered what they thought of this particular situation.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ok you get the child "into the sport" by taking them to highfence hunts. Actually this sounds more like a small enclosure guarenteed hunt to me.

What's the kid going to think when you take them on a hunt where they have to hunt??
Old 03-24-2005, 07:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

IMHO I think it's sending a wrong message to a kid starting out. I'd rather teach my sons how to "hunt" a truely wild animal. Seems to me like it's starting them out the easy way by by guaranteeing sighting and a harvest. I'd rather see them learn the finer points and appreciate everything else that goes along with hunting rather than simply killing something. Let em earn their stripes so to speak. If that's the message we want to deliver to the future of our sport then we are in BIG trouble.
As for the fishing analogy>?? You don't start out stocking your bathtub with sunfish and sit in the bathroom catching them do ya?
Just my opinion of course. To each their own. I've argued this high fence thing to the point of giving me an ulcer.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I see both your points exactly. In fact I'm on your side when it comes to high fence as far as I'm concerned. As far as teaching her the true aspects of hunting, that is deffinately going to happen. He's going to take her with him deer hunting here in Pa and let her see what it's really like. He's just afraid that she'll lose interest if she doesn't get anything so I guess that's why he wants to do it. I guess it's different with daughters as well. It seems that most of the time they want to go to the mall with their friends rather than hunting with dad. I'm not certain on this because I only have a son but it just seems that way. He said his thinking is to take her up there and let her harvest something so she feels the reward of hunting (for me it wouldn't be a reward but a 12 year old girl sees it different) that way she'll want to stick with it regardless of her success during the following Pa deer seasons. Thanks for your opinion on this. I guess I'm stuck in the middle and want to get everyones point of view.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Why not take her squirell hunting? Lot's of action good excercise.Sort like taking your kid fishing for bluegills.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Charlie, that's a good idea and deffinately the way I would do it. I guess he just has different ideas. Personally I wouldn't take my son there, I enjoy the time spent in the woods with him more than anything but I guess everyone's different.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Very true.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:33 AM

Yes, you can hunt fallow, axis, and many other exotics here in Texas. I have got an axis, a mouflon ram, a scimitar horned oryx, and a black buck. At the end of May I am going on an aoudad hunt

There are numerous ranches here in Texas that run exotic hunts, and the prices vary widely from ranch to ranch.

Quick Reply: high fence question ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.