Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 worst mag. article i ever read!!! >

worst mag. article i ever read!!!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

worst mag. article i ever read!!!

Old 03-27-2005, 06:25 AM

Default RE: worst mag. article i ever read!!!

20 yards!! You measured his horns, counted the points and couldn't shoot him.
I've had clients like that, we offer them their money back if they'd like to go home and do something they're more qualified for.
yup thats right guide teach people to shoot through brush at deer. maybe even some trees because your such an expert. you have probally never even killed a deer.
what do you mean by. "we offer them thier money back if they'd like to go home and do something they're more qualified for"? because someone is more displined and a better hunter then you, you give them their money back? you must never get any money then.
deerslayer did the right thing and i think he's like me and would never try a shot through brush as he just stated weither the deer standing behind it is a 32 point buck or a doe.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:14 AM

ORIGINAL: Maineguide5424

I've had clients like that, we offer them their money back if they'd like to go home and do something they're more qualified for.

I'm surprised you still have a job and if you own it still have a business
or sombody has not punched your lights out.

Whats the name of your guide service.
Would like to see what BB has to say about it or if it even exists.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:05 PM

ORIGINAL: Maineguide5424

20 yards!! You measured his horns, counted the points and couldn't shoot him.
Yes, I knew how large he was because i had been watching him before the season. I also could tell it was him because of the whiteness of his antlers. I had just enough time to catch him slinking out of a downed treetop and see it was him and then he got behind brush and was gone. 9 lives that buck has, as i couldnt get him, a cousin missed him with a bow, and an uncle missed him with a rifle. maybe next year...

slayer
Old 03-27-2005, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Killer243, I have been hunting with a group of friends for many years. All are very experienced and great hunting partners. On one occasion one of our hunters hit a huge 10 point that we had spotted earlier in the season. All his finesse and experience went out the window when he had a good hit on this whitetail. If I had not witnessed this with my own eyes I would have said this was a fabrication. He came out of his stand in a full run in the direction he last spotted the big buck. Call it buck fever or panic, but he was gone. Luckily, the hit was in the heart and the buck only traveled 40 yards. I guess the king of the mountain has that effect on even an experienced hunter.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

yup thats right guide teach people to shoot through brush at deer. maybe even some trees because your such an expert. you have probally never even killed a deer.
I'm convinced this Maineguide5424 is a 12 year old with nothing better to do than troll on the internet. If he is actually an adult then that's just truely sad and a little scary. If an adult with his goober mentality, lack of hunting knowledge and pitiful people skills can be a successful guide in Maine then by all means let me add "Never hunt with a guide in Maine" to my list of life long goals. But I'm pretty sure the only thing he's ever killed in the woods is a mosquito that landed on his neck.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:23 PM

I agree with Jim Zumbo's article, i think you guys are blowing his one situation of chasing the deer right away out of propotion. For one it was a Saskatchewan hunt which he was probably only there for a certain amount of time, not like it was his own land that he can wait and have another chance at the same deer. He breifly describes taking a quick shot that his placement would have been good if it wasnt for... some brush? he clearly states that he thought his shot would have been good. Tell ya what if i have a shot that i have faith in, which when i am hunting i am always as confident as i can be ... i would take the shot too. Sure if there was a visible negative in the situation no i wouldnt take it, but some situations can go fast and you have react quickly with what you think is right to do, not every kill is a perfect kill.

He gives very good advise on what to do after the shot; (recreate the shot, what did you see or hear, Did the animal lurch, stumble, kick its legs violently, hump up). If you a hunting learning from a mag... take it for what its worth.

I myself give the animal 25 to 30 minutes after a shot, however there is different cercumstances. His curcumstance left snow, well with a bad shot, he could slowly and quitely get closer to the animal and try to get another shot in. Not a big deal, its his decision on what he wants to do.

Lastly, "I took" his article as always going after the animal rather than giving up. I didnt put a time limit on his story. I think he wanted to put the point across as even if you make a bad shot, dont give up on the animal. (this is how i read it, others obviously read it differently).
Old 03-27-2005, 09:43 PM
Fork Horn

I too think this article is being blown out of proportion, given his situation with falling snow and such. Anyways, every situation is unique, pursue at your own discretion and then hopefully learn from your mistakes!
Old 03-27-2005, 11:09 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Deerslayer_37
ok i should rephrase that. I'll shoot through blackberry brush and fairly light stuff. But yes, I've had to pass up shots on deer in brush. Just this year, i had to pass up a 20 yard shot on a 130" 8 pointer because i couldnt get off a clean shot. holier than thou people rank up on my dislike list as high as liberals and tree huggers....

slayer
What ever.
Next time ya decide to start shooting in to or through bushes get out that list and hold it right over the center of your chest.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:48 PM

light blackberry brush/light multifloral rose will NOT deflect a 130 grain bullet moving at 3,000 fps. again, ill put emphasis on LIGHT. I never said i was trying to shoot through small trees and dense vegatation. I said light. Quit putting words in my mouth. If i can see the deer's vitals, im taking the shot. I had a shot on a doe once that was either hit or miss, threading the needle in between a 3 inch gap in a log. she dropped on the spot. i have confidence in my shooting abilities, and if i have an opening in the brush or its fairly light, that deer will probbaly be dropping dead.

slayer
Old 03-28-2005, 11:51 PM
Typical Buck

What ever.
Next time ya decide to start shooting in to or through LIGHTbushes get out that list and hold it right over the center of your chest.

Light bushes probably rank right up there with unloaded guns. Idiots, LIGHT bushes and unloaded guns probably cost more HUNTERS their lives than anything else. I never read a report yet where the dimwitt who killed "somthing moving" ever said he shot at some thing in a bush so thick you couldn't see through it.

Quick Reply: worst mag. article i ever read!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.