Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 worst mag. article i ever read!!! >

worst mag. article i ever read!!!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

worst mag. article i ever read!!!

Old 03-25-2005, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: worst mag. article i ever read!!!

Try this... http://www.jimzumbo.com/contact.htm

With the stuff flying in these posts, he will probably even respond..lol
Old 03-25-2005, 08:23 AM

ORIGINAL: jcchartboy

Try this... http://www.jimzumbo.com/contact.htm

With the stuff flying in these posts, he will probably even respond..lol

Sent him a question about the article & ethics a shot we will see if he answers.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:12 AM

I just finished reading all your posts. I sent the following to Mr. Zumbo
Dear Sir:

As a state certified hunter safety and bow hunter safety course instructor, I am curious how to present your article to our students. "Be sure of your target and what is beyond / in front." "One shot, one kill." "Heart, lungs, liver; anything else, let it go."

As you are very respected in the sporting outdoors, are the safety course manuals wrong?

I would appreciate any feedback you might have.
I'll let you know if I get a reply.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:01 PM

fastfire,
You've hunted 28 years, does that mean you hunt all year? Jim Zumbo does. I've hunted and guided for 50 years, I probably see more animals shot in a season than you have in a lifetime.

I mainly guide moose and bear hunters, when a hunter shoots a bear a few minutes before dark(95%) we leave our guns in the truck and go after it. The same with moose and deer except those are usually in the daytime.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Maineguide5424

fastfire,
You've hunted 28 years, does that mean you hunt all year? Jim Zumbo does. I've hunted and guided for 50 years, I probably see more animals shot in a season than you have in a lifetime.
well, maineguide, you win the medal for this thread. 50 years !!! there's no way we can have a different opinion than you now. Personally I don't care if someone is gods gift to hunters who hunted for 80 years and saw more deer in a season than YOU would in a lifetime. If they think they know everything there is to know about hunting, and all other hunters are below them because they've only hunted 28 years than I don't think their opinion holds much water anyway.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:35 PM

let's all jump on Jim Zumbo.I forget, know of you have ever been caught up in the moment and took a shot that you probably shouldnt have taken. Is shooting at a deer through brush illegal? And how is it unethical? If given a shot through a light screen of brush, i'd take it with a rifle or shotgun anyday of the week. A little blackberry brush wont move a bullet. I hate people who get up high and mighty and criticize others for shots they take, the way they track the deer they've shot, and calling them a bad hunter. Now, im not personally a Jim Zumbo fan, and i let my outdoor life subscription run out because i think its extremely boring and too broad. But I think Jim Zumbo knows more about hunting than probably all but one or two you guys that are posting.

I agree, a gut shot deer should be left alone for a whole day, unless you know coyotes will get it, in which case i'd cut it down to 8 or 10 hours. Leg shot deer should always been pursued immediately. Deer shot in the hindquarters too. Once the deer beds, a leg wound will clot up and reopen later. You'll be hard pressed to find that deer the next day. Unless you have actual experience with tracking all types of deer wounds, sit down, shut up, and learn something.

slayer
Old 03-25-2005, 04:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Maineguide5424

fastfire,

I mainly guide moose and bear hunters, when a hunter shoots a bear a few minutes before dark(95%) we leave our guns in the truck and go after it. The same with moose and deer except those are usually in the daytime.

You did not answer my question so I will ask it again
Just because he writes for a Mag. does that make him an expert???????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????

I'm not an expert but hunting for 28 years + the earlier years that I went with relatives before I could hunt tells me this guy is full of it.
What he wrote is a once in a blue moon luck.
I all ready stated I'm not an expert.

In 50 odd years you have guided Or hunted have you ever done
what he is saying????????????????????????????????????????????
Being a guide for 50 years probably makes you more of an expert than me.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Deerslayer_37

let's all jump on Jim Zumbo.I forget, know of you have ever been caught up in the moment and took a shot that you probably shouldn't have taken. Is shooting at a deer through brush illegal? And how is it unethical? If given a shot through a light screen of brush, I'd take it with a rifle or shotgun any day of the week. A little blackberry brush wont move a bullet. I hate people who get up high and mighty and criticize others for shots they take, the way they track the deer they've shot, and calling them a bad hunter. Now, I'm not personally a Jim Zumbo fan, and i let my outdoor life subscription run out because i think its extremely boring and too broad. But I think Jim Zumbo knows more about hunting than probably all but one or two you guys that are posting.

I agree, a gut shot deer should be left alone for a whole day, unless you know coyotes will get it, in which case I'd cut it down to 8 or 10 hours. Leg shot deer should always been pursued immediately. Deer shot in the hindquarters too. Once the deer beds, a leg wound will clot up and reopen later. You'll be hard pressed to find that deer the next day. Unless you have actual experience with tracking all types of deer wounds, sit down, shut up, and learn something.

slayer
I guess you've done it all!

that what is nice about this board I can have my own opinion
and it does not have to agree with anybody but me.

Yes I have a little attitude but it's mine and I like it just like my opinion.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:06 PM

let's all jump on Jim Zumbo.I forget, know of you have ever been caught up in the moment and took a shot that you probably shouldnt have taken. Is shooting at a deer through brush illegal? And how is it unethical? If given a shot through a light screen of brush, i'd take it with a rifle or shotgun anyday of the week.
that is good for you but if you are like most of us who have tried shooting through brush you will see a tiny stick could deflect you bullet enough to miss or make a bad hit. this making the shot unethical to ME. once i shot a at a coyote standing behind a tiny bush i took the shot and the bullet struck a stick about 1/2 the size of a pencil and the bullet deflected and his him in the guts instead of the shoulder i was aiming at. so yes small brush WILL send a bullet off it's path. some times maybe only a little bit but i am not going to chance it

A little blackberry brush wont move a bullet.
well it looks like it did because i am sure jim wasn't aiming for his leg!

You've hunted 28 years, does that mean you hunt all year? Jim Zumbo does
wow. i could hunt every day for 60 years dose that make me a great hunter? no not at all.

i have already stated i don't believe in what jim dose and i don't think it should have been published. when you read about people losing wounded game 95% of the time it is because they pursued the game to soon.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

So you know more about hunting than Jim Zumbo? I'd guess that what little bit you do know came from hunting mags.
You can cut the irony of this statement with a knife. Anyone who gets their hunting knowledge from a magazine is an idiot yet Zumbo is a expert because he writes for a magazine. LOL!!!
Maineguide5424 I haven't figured out if you are a 12 year boy trolling at this site or a grown man and just eat up with the dumb@$$.

As for my knowledge of hunting whitetails I'll throw it up against yours any day. I'm 39 years old and killed my first deer when I was 6. I live in a state (Alabama) that is loaded with deer and has a very long season. We have always been able to kill at least one deer per day all season and now we are allowed to kill a buck and a doe per day all season long. A season that starts with bow season Oct 15th and runs till the end of gun season Jan 30th. Do the math on how many deer we could kill in a season. In the past 33 years of hunting them I can't tell you and exact number but a conservative estimate on the number of deer I have personally killed with a bow or gun would be about 115. I've killed more in a single season than many people get to in 10 years of hunting. I am fortunate that my family has excellent land to hunt on. That number could be far higher but in my mid 30's I cut back to killing only about 5 per season. As for how many deer kills I have been involved with through friends or family? Who knows. Hundreds more at least.

So I'll give you a minute to pull your foot out of your mouth concerning that hunting mag statement (or is it your head out of your @$$) Oh well either way it was your typical Maineguide5424 assume he knows more than anyone type drivel that always ends up being dead wrong. Besides a deer expert from Maine? Isn't that like looking for beach front property in Kansas?

Quick Reply: worst mag. article i ever read!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.