Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 worst mag. article i ever read!!! >

worst mag. article i ever read!!!

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

worst mag. article i ever read!!!

Old 03-24-2005, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: worst mag. article i ever read!!!

Does anyone have Zumbo's email address?
Old 03-24-2005, 12:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

http://www.outdoorchannel.com/showin...owType=Hunting

If you go here you can submit a question but I can't find an actual e-mail address for him anywhere.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:04 PM

you have to remember that this is hiw experience and this is the way he hunts. it probably works great for him but wouldn't for anyone else.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:18 PM

I have been thinking about letting a deer bed down, and I don't think it is such a great idea. What if the bullet hit it but you let it bed down and it heals? Why not let it run and keep the wound open and bleeding?

dunno never shot a deer but this year I shall lol

just wondering
Old 03-24-2005, 11:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been thinking about letting a deer bed down, and I don't think it is such a great idea. What if the bullet hit it but you let it bed down and it heals? Why not let it run and keep the wound open and bleeding?
The vast majority of the time there would be no benefit to immediately pursuing a wounded deer. The only instance I can think of would be if you happened to nick a large artery or major vein. Then perhaps pushing the animal would prevent a clot from forming and keep it bleeding. It's been my experience that this would be pretty rare and you would be able to tell because the animal should bleed rather profusely at least at first. The only time I would push a wounded deer is if I had blown one of his legs off or hit him in the neck. In other words a shot that I KNEW had not possible hit anything besides veins or arteries. A shot through the abdominal or thorasic cavity on the other hand and you would be well advised to wait. The vast majority of wounded animals that run for a long ways are gut shot. When you rupture a bowel and the internal contents leak out into the abdominal cavity. The bacteria released cause a sort of toxic or septic shock to set in called Peritonitis. The muscles will become ridgid and hard within a few minutes and that animal will not feel like running or walking anymore. Left alone it will bed down and lacking the medical attention available to us humans it will most likely be dead in 6 to 18 hours. Even though he doesn't feel like it the animal can and will still get up and run during this time if you spook him. This would be an idiotic thing to do however. He won't die any faster just farther away from where you originally shot him.

I don't care who Jim Zumbo is or what he thinks he knows. If he says imediately chasing a gut shot deer is wise move then he is full of $*#%. And you can take that to the bank.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:14 AM

So you know more about hunting than Jim Zumbo?[&:] I'd guess that what little bit you do know came from hunting mags.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:22 AM

A huge whitetail walked into view and I eased my gun up, but the rifle butt hit a juice can in the bottom of my blind. The buck jerked his head up and stared at me, and I knew I had only a second or two for a shot. Though he was standing in some brush, I thought my bullet had a clear path. I couldn’t wait—the buck was ready to bolt.

Gee this is a great article.NOT
1. How many would pass on this shot as you don't shoot a deer that is looking at you.
2. I thought the bullet had a clear path. Get a life you read the article & you can tell he had no idea he was to worried about the deer looking at him.

This Mag. went to %$##%&^*& in the early 80's.
ZUMBO used to write some good stuff & when the Mag. changed so did his ideas and his thinking.

If any body gets his email post it so I can give the &^%$ my .02.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:31 AM

ORIGINAL: Maineguide5424

So you know more about hunting than Jim Zumbo?[&:] I'd guess that what little bit you do know came from hunting mags.

My question to you is just because he writes Mag articles does that make him an expert ????????????

I'm not an expert but hunting for 28 years + the earlier years that I went with relatives before I could hunt tells me this guy is full of it.
What he wrote is a once in a blue moon luck.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

it probably works great for him but wouldn't for anyone else.
So why write an article about it for millions to read.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Wait it was Outdoor life thousands to read , maybe hundreds.[8D]

Quick Reply: worst mag. article i ever read!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.