Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bucks with antlers in March!!

Old 03-19-2005, 11:52 AM

Default RE: Bucks with antlers in March!!

My grampa said he saw two dandy bucks with their antlers still on a week ago and this is in Wisconsin. I know thers a few nice bucks that we've been watching over in iowa that dropped their antlers because the neighbors found them. I think they had a fairly easy winter and are holding their antlers longer. i was surprised, as there were no acorns for them to eat. Ate ag crops all fall and winter.

slayer
Old 03-20-2005, 07:51 AM

Saw two bucks a couple days ago 150" 10pt. and a mid 130" 8pt.

I got a call from a buddy that saw two more bucks with both sides in a large herd of 80 deer.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:19 AM
Fork Horn

i saw two bucks still having antlers friday on my way to work,one spike, ons 6 or 8 pt.
but i found one shed too, so im not sure when to `really` start looking for sheds...
Old 03-22-2005, 04:45 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-22-2005, 09:10 PM

Antlers in March! Man, they're early this year. Let's go hunting!
Old 03-22-2005, 09:23 PM

seen a half rack with 5 points on one side, the other side fell off and i got a picture on my digi cam of an 8 point
Old 03-22-2005, 09:23 PM

but these are antlers that have not fallen yet
Old 03-23-2005, 11:34 AM
Typical Buck

I was in Iowa scouting last weekend and saw 6 bucks(all dinks) with their racks still on. I couldn't believe why we were finding any sheds and that's why. I would have thought that atleast 80% would have dropped them by last weekend.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:14 AM

IL-Cornfed, is right for the most part. This is later in the year than usual.

Nutrition has a great deal to do with shedding of antlers, but most of it is dependant upon "photoperiodism".

Photoperiodism is the amount of light that reaches the deers pituatary gland. This gland triggers most of their behaiviors and changes, including antler growth, and casting.

The amount of day-light increases well after the rut. This triggers a drop in testosterone levels, which in turn loosens the cells around the pedicle. Therefore the antler is left to either fall or be bumped off the deers head.

Larger, more dominant bucks involved in the majority of the breeding, experience a larger drop in testosterone. This causes them to drop their antlers sooner than "scrub" bucks normally.

However, as I mentioned, nutrition does have a factor as well. So less stressful winters will cause deer to retain their antlers longer too. Often times the new budding antler pushes the old antler off.

Its these years that antler growth will be impeded slightly, because of the "late" start. Although, the nutritients a deer receives during the antler growing period have more to do with it, than the length of time they have to grow them.

Hope you guys have a lil better understanding of how and why a deer drops its antlers.---Matt
Old 03-25-2005, 06:55 PM

I saw an 8 and a 10 in Greenville, Al on the 15th!! I wish I could have found them in Jan.

Quick Reply: Bucks with antlers in March!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.