Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 5 STOLEN STANDS. WHAT WOULD YOU DO? >

5 STOLEN STANDS. WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

5 STOLEN STANDS. WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Old 03-08-2005, 05:27 PM

Default RE: 5 STOLEN STANDS. WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Illinois hunter is violating the state regs and by his own admission is doing so in an attempt to keep other hunters from enjoying the same public woods that he is attempting to hog for his own. These are his own words
"I have taken a lot of deer from this spot and if i dont leave a stand out it also an open invitation for anyone to take over. Im not wanting to give the spot up."
REM you jacka$$...Ever hear the saying "The early bird gets the worm?"
Their is a common courtesy that if someone is there already, you gotta keep moving and find another spot. You sound like a typical slob hunter that waits til the day before the season before you even steps foot in the woods to scout....and then, you get pissed cuz all the good spots are taken....SLOB SLOB SLOB. As God is my witness, I would love to knock some of your teeth out you slime ball.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:24 PM
Spike

Seriously dude, I'm just yanking your chain a little. I think that your attitude about your special spot is wrong. It is PUBLIC LAND. I'm sorry that your stands have been stolen but after the 2nd and 3rd stand I figure even a hardhead would stop leaving them out there. That must be one sweet hunting spot.
Just to clarify this a little more, these stands are not in the same tree. It doesnt matter where you go there are slime bags everyehere. I am breaking no laws by hunting the same areas seasonly. I AM NOT A VOLUNTEER DEER GUIDE!!!!!! I do not scout for strangers, clear thier shooting lanes, or hang stands for them. When I go out its my time. If you want some there is 6099 more acres out there for you and yours. Good luck!
Old 03-08-2005, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Silent,

Just a little FYI...

If the keys are in the ignition of your unlocked car, in a public lot in either CT or NY (places I live/lived so I know the laws)---and your car is taken---the perpetrators can be charged with vandalism, etcetera---but not theft. You usually lock your car so it doesn't get stolen right---well if you leave the keys in the ignition, do you worry or do you assume that someone might steal it?

Another example: During the spring turkey opener, you hunt public land. You leave your two best calls next to a big pine tree, as you forgot to put them back in your vest when you left. You go back 2 days later, and someone else obviously had not only sat down in the same spot, but also apparently pocketed your calls. Are you also livid that someone "stole" your calls, even though you the original owner obviously doesn't care too much, otherwise he wouldn't have left them in the first place on public property? When are items considered "owned" versus "abandoned" on public property?

If it's valuable property, then protect it!

Do you get the point?!

Listen, I personally do not take things out of the woods. But there is another side to this...

By someone leaving their stand in a "good" hunting spot, other hunters cannot place their stand in that spot. Personally, I use a climber. If I find a good spot, I mark it with ribbons or GPS, trek in & out to the spot with all of my gear.

Just because Illinois found that spot...who's to say that 10 other guys also didn't scout hard throughout the year and make the same assumption? Now I'm not supposed to hunt that same spot all year because one knucklehead, who I've never met, has left his stand there? Sorry, but that doesn't seem like a very congenial attitude to me...it's public, so we shoud share the woods.

Now with the "added" information, sounds to me as if the wildlife manager would 1) be the one to contact, and 2) raise my suspicions. If he says, "Go ahead, leave your stand," and then my stands start disappearing, well I gotta say, I'm probably gonna look at him hard for knowing something about the stands. Especially if I told him where the 1st, 2nd+ stands were that mysteriously "disappeared"...
Old 03-08-2005, 08:51 PM
Spike

Just because Illinois found that spot...who's to say that 10 other guys also didn't scout hard throughout the year and make the same assumption? Now I'm not supposed to hunt that same spot all year because one knucklehead, who I've never met, has left his stand there? Sorry, but that doesn't seem like a very congenial attitude to me...it's public, so we shoud share the woods.
Hey Strut, As Ive said, Ive broken no laws. The regulations read that stands may remain untill the end of archery season. First come first serve. Not to say that i wouldnt work with someone who walked into an area i was hunting. I walked away from 2 good hunts this year so as to let some strangers that just showed up hunt.
Do YOU understand, Public envolves me too. I have just as many rights as anyone else out there. 7000 acres and Im only one guy. Cut me some slack.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now with the "added" information, sounds to me as if the wildlife manager would 1) be the one to contact, and 2) raise my suspicions. If he says, "Go ahead, leave your stand," and then my stands start disappearing, well I gotta say, I'm probably gonna look at him hard for knowing something about the stands. Especially if I told him where the 1st, 2nd+ stands were that mysteriously "disappeared"...
Illinois,

That's why I wrote the above paragraph in my last reply. And again, I personally wouldn't take your stuff---I'd probably actually attach my phone # and have you give me a ring...myself and a few guys share our stands on a large piece of private land. We've never met face to face, but we've talked and have used each other's stands.

I was just making a point, very valid and real, to SA. And again...with that many stands taken, with the 'manager' approving leaving stands out all season...you may want to inquire somebody higher up about the manager's integrity. I would at least question it...
Old 03-08-2005, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Question is, fellow Illinois hunter, is what are your real options? OBVIOUSLY you can't keep putting up stands with these peckerheads stealing them. Seems you have to switch to a climber, hunt from a chair, or start looking for a nice farmer to give you permission. I hunted from a portable chair for 10 years and bagged a deer EVERY year. Your situation really sucks, good luck to ya.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:33 PM
Spike

Oh man, Id hate to think things have gone that bad, but I dont underestimate anything anymore. You know by being pushed out of my stand I was actually forced to move twice and after some ordeal I managed to arrow the Illinois lagest typical of the year. So things did work for the best for me. Check out my photo on this site.
As of next year the rules have changed and there will be no stands allowed after any hunt. Im okay with that, but I have an uncle with a disability that is not capable of carrying a stand in/out daily, let alone set it up/ tear it down. Guess hell have to learn to blind hunt. No matter what you do somebody suffers a consequence. Thats life.
I was really interested to see what everyone thought and the "catch em and get even" part is what I expected. I was really surprised to hear all of this YOU GET WHAT YOU DESERVE crap. Almost like im the bad guy and these thiefs have done thier justice.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:27 AM

ORIGINAL: moosehornhunter

REM...so i guess if you park your truck in a public lot i could take that too....You are such an idiot.
Moose, let's look at your analogy above. Let's look at a public parking lot (Public woods) with many spaces(trees). Now some guy comes along and puts orange cones in the bestspaces( stands in the trees) and leaves them there 24/7 so no one else can park there(hunt there).
Now stay with me here fellas, you have been going to this parking lot on several occasions and have figured out what's going on. Are you going to park in a less desirable spot because this guy has reserved him self the best spots 24/7 even if he doesn't use the spot but maybe once a week.
Now Moose, you're a big 'ol tuff guy. You gonna let this guy tell you where you can park?
Old 03-09-2005, 08:48 AM

ORIGINAL: Xtec Shooter

I fully agree Big, but there are also a lot of people(probably like Rem) that will go out of their way and screw up their own hunt just to screw up yours. We've all seen them. Sure it's pub land, but not in their eyes. They think they own the woods, the deer and everything in it. Thus thinking that anything they find....they keep.

Xtec,
Your post above is the exact same point that I've been trying to make. IH is hanging stands in the woods and leaving them 24/7 so that other hunters won't get into his spot. I have emphasized this in several of my posts that this is PUBLIC LAND. How the heck you can come to the conclusions about me in your post is beyond me. Stick to what you know not what you think and this thread might actually be worth the bandwith that it's consuming.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:10 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: rem7400 2

Since I hunt WMAs exclusivley for 20+ years I reckon I 'll share my opinion on the matter with you. If you think hanging stands all over the public woods is going to "reserve the spot" for you, you are sadly mistaken. If I saw your stand the first time I'd probally give you a little room. If I kept seeing the same stands there all the time with your name on them, well it don't take this 'ol boy long to figure out what you're up to. I would take every dang one of your stands down and remove them from the woods.

Now back to adjectives to describe a feller like you. Hmmmm, lets see here. How's this sound? Lawbreaker, poacher, game hog,lazy, shiftless, hardhead(oops, we already used that one)
The law is different in every state, but I never saw one that said a parking ticket means the car is up for grabs.

A thief is a thief the rational for justifying it doesn't change the fact a person who steals is a thief.

If he's just trying to tie up ground and I wanted to hunt it, I'd just hang my climber on the same tree if it was empty and I wanted to hunt it. For that matter, if I didn't think a theif had been crapping in everyone's nest I'd just climb in and hunt it myself. Might even leave him a thank you note for packing in the stand for me.

Quick Reply: 5 STOLEN STANDS. WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.