Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 5 STOLEN STANDS. WHAT WOULD YOU DO? >

5 STOLEN STANDS. WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

5 STOLEN STANDS. WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Old 03-07-2005, 07:25 PM

Default RE: 5 STOLEN STANDS. WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

I would take everyones advice and lock it very very well and setup a gamecam to watch your stands
Old 03-07-2005, 07:34 PM

Illinois...I know everyone is gonna jump on me for this, but the question was what would I do.
Honestly, I would write a note and securely attach it to one of the steps that are at eye level. The note would say "DANGER! STAND AND SET UP IS UNSAFE!! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CLIMB OR ACCESS THIS STAND UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!!"
I would then climb just about all the way to the last step and cut about 1/3 of the way through it with a hacksaw. That way, when the thief puts his weight on it, he will come crashing down. I also wouldn't care what happened to the S.O.B. either. Thats exactly what I would do.
I used to have a barn that would get broken into from time to time. I called the cops and they basicaly told me that i had to catch them in the act or there was nothing they could do. Thats how i came up with this. I sawed through the second to last rung on the wooden ladder that led to the loft. The next time it got broken into....the guy got a big surprise!! And to boot, I put about a 100 roofing nails where he landed. It worked like a dream, and I didn't get broken into again.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Get a lightweight stand and pack it out every day..end of problem..I used to have yahoos shoot up our stands when I hunted PRIVATE property.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:01 PM

Darn you, moosehorn. I swore I wasn't going to respond on these threads anymore but I can't resist saying DITTO. But I would put booby traps high enough to scare 'em, not to hurt 'em.

And I would only do this if I wasn't coming back anymore, 'cause they'll just boobytrap mine, and no warning sign. Live by the sword . . .
Old 03-07-2005, 08:06 PM

Screw scaring them, I would hurt em. The only thing lower than a thief is, well, a shorter thief.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:13 PM

that really sucks. maybe you could set a stand up and hide out in the woods and watch.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:52 PM

Sorry, But 5 stands? I would have bought a very small, which= expensive climber, after the 2nd one was stolen. Dont put any game cams in cause thats just an added bonus to them.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

i'd be in the woods colonel- james -patterson -ghost -and -the- darkness- style
Old 03-08-2005, 04:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Buy the best quality climber that you can afford and quit hanging bait in the trees >
The thieves who stole your stands are probably staking you out when you first hang it , or following your trail right to them . Stop wasting money on chain-ons .
Old 03-08-2005, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think you would justified in resorting to violence if you caught them. However, that won't fix the problem more than likely. My suggestion would be to start using a climber. If you use one enough, you can slip in and set it up quietly and be up the tree in less than 10 minutes. I have had deer come in on SEVERAL occaisions within minutes of setting up. If they are moving themselves and more than 80 - 100 yards out they will never know you are there. If they are bedded 80 yards or in then you may spook them but I have climbed my tree and set there for 10 minutes and then had does stand up that were no more than 70 yards away. I had slipped in and climbed my tree and they never new I was there. I have actually done that on two different occaisions and I have talked to several other people that have done similarly.

Quick Reply: 5 STOLEN STANDS. WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.