Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 5 STOLEN STANDS. WHAT WOULD YOU DO? >

5 STOLEN STANDS. WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

5 STOLEN STANDS. WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Old 03-07-2005, 05:36 PM
Spike

Default 5 STOLEN STANDS. WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Hey every one. I hunt on public grond in the mid west. Its all I have to hunt. Its A little under 7000 acres of huntable land. It has produced a lot of deer, and a couple of true trophies for me. Just this last year alone I had 5 (five) stands and ladders stolen from me! This really bothers me that a hunter could do this to another hunter. They are sick, disturbed,animals. Im not a rich man or I would not be resorting to public ground. The D.N.R. now suggests that all stands are removed daily, but this is a huge disability to a afternoon hunt after getting off of work. Same problem with a climber , I just dont have enough time to get it out there and get settled in in time for a afternoon hunt.
I have thought of everything from hiding out there and hog tying, beating, taking pictures and some other things that i shouldnt mention. I dont think we hunters should resort to violence but I would like to scare the #$%! out of these guys.
GIVE ME YOUR IDEAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-07-2005, 05:44 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: 5 STOLEN STANDS. WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

I hate to hear that for ya. That stinks. But what I am shocked about is you kept putting more stands out there. None of my biz, but after the first one, I would have quit.

It takes me 20min to get up my climber. Sounds like you might have to go that route whether you like it or not.

Old 03-07-2005, 05:57 PM

Well, you can try puttin a game camera out to try and catch em, at least you will have a face to use as proof of who is stealin them. I also agree with bigcountry in that the only other way to keep them from stealing them is to carry a climber in and out every day.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:59 PM

do u have locks on them well even if u do there are some spots that if u dont have bult cutters u aint gettin the stand out like on the oppiset side of the tree or s hsrd to reach spot bu thtis has happened to me and i am on privet property lol but i got the stand back it was only moved but try to find some spots that cant be easyly reached by only key
Old 03-07-2005, 06:09 PM

Engrave your name on the stand where it can't be easly removed. Buy the toughest lock & chain you can get. The only thing else would be hunt from the ground. Nothing is sacred any more.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:38 PM
Spike

Ive put my nme and address on all stands. And not even the toughest locks stop them. This happens all over the forest, not just to me. I have moved to other locations but someone always finds them. As i said, trying to fit an evening hunt into my honey hole does not work well with a climber. I do own an old man climber but it is not practical for this spot or situation. I have taken a lot of deer from this spot and if i dont leave a stand out it also an open invitation for anyone to take over. Im not wanting to give the spot up. There is a lot of disrespect out there. Its hard to believe you just have to deal with it or give up. Im to hard headed.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:44 PM
Fork Horn

Try setting up your game cam.. or my uncle actually locks his stands to the trees with a chain. Also lock your cameras Hope you solve this problem
Old 03-07-2005, 06:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would get a piece of 3/8 or larger case hardened steel chain and wrap it around the stand and place the lock on the opposite side of the tree. Takes a dang good bolt cutter to snap one, especially if you get chain that is larger than 3/8. Make sure it is the hardened or titanium steel chain.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:00 PM
bigcountry

if i dont leave a stand out it also an open invitation for anyone to take over
Thats public property. Its whoever gets there first. It kinda bothers me, when people try to claim public property. If they see you there, first thing they do is come to you while your coming out and tell you they been hunting that spot for 100 years. I look at em, and say, "yep its a good one, I am going to come here more often". If I come in the woods and see a guy in the stand flashing me, first thing I do is turn around and go to a secondary spot.

Old 03-07-2005, 07:02 PM
Fork Horn

i would have learned a lesson after the first stand was taken

Quick Reply: 5 STOLEN STANDS. WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.