Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 5 STOLEN STANDS. WHAT WOULD YOU DO? >

5 STOLEN STANDS. WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

5 STOLEN STANDS. WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Old 03-09-2005, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 5 STOLEN STANDS. WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Even hunting on private land like I do, we don't build permanent stands and use only climbers. My Summit Viper with a little practice takes me about 15-20 minutes to set up and climb 20-30 feet.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

A thief is a thief the rational for justifying it doesn't change the fact a person who steals is a thief.

If he's just trying to tie up ground and I wanted to hunt it, I'd just hang my climber on the same tree if it was empty and I wanted to hunt it. For that matter, if I didn't think a theif had been crapping in everyone's nest I'd just climb in and hunt it myself. Might even leave him a thank you note for packing in the stand for me.
Well said!
Old 03-09-2005, 11:59 AM

ORIGINAL: Jack Ryan

ORIGINAL: rem7400 2

Since I hunt WMAs exclusivley for 20+ years I reckon I 'll share my opinion on the matter with you. If you think hanging stands all over the public woods is going to "reserve the spot" for you, you are sadly mistaken. If I saw your stand the first time I'd probally give you a little room. If I kept seeing the same stands there all the time with your name on them, well it don't take this 'ol boy long to figure out what you're up to. I would take every dang one of your stands down and remove them from the woods.

Now back to adjectives to describe a feller like you. Hmmmm, lets see here. How's this sound? Lawbreaker, poacher, game hog,lazy, shiftless, hardhead(oops, we already used that one)
The law is different in every state, but I never saw one that said a parking ticket means the car is up for grabs.

A thief is a thief the rational for justifying it doesn't change the fact a person who steals is a thief.

If he's just trying to tie up ground and I wanted to hunt it, I'd just hang my climber on the same tree if it was empty and I wanted to hunt it. For that matter, if I didn't think a theif had been crapping in everyone's nest I'd just climb in and hunt it myself. Might even leave him a thank you note for packing in the stand for me.
Jack,

Thanks for reposting my original. After reading it again I see why some of the fellas are pissed at me. It does appear that I'd steal these stands for my personal use. Let me assure all of you guys, that is not what I meant. I am not a thief. In my post, I meant to infer that I'd turn these stands over to DNR. In your cut and paste above you left out a portion of my original post that said, "Oh, by the way. I really appreciate you putting your name and address on them for me. It makes it alot easier for the Illinois DNR to track you down."
This was my way of saying that I'd turn the stands in to DNR. Upon review I can see how you guys interpreted what I typed. Rest assured, Rem7400 is not a thief, he just can't type very good.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:01 PM
Typical Buck

If I kept seeing the same stands there all the time with your name on them, well it don't take this 'ol boy long to figure out what you're up to. I would take every dang one of your stands down and remove them from the woods.
Yup, thet's jes watt I'd dew!!!
Remeber typing that? That's exactly how I came to that conclusion about you and thus lumping you in with the other SLOB hunters out there. You flat out said you'd take the stand(s). So what do I have to figure out? Try argueing one point at a time so you can keep it simple for yourself.

Now to your other point...Do I think Ill hanging stands all around the woods is right....it all depends on his mentality. Does he care that others might hunt out of them when he's not there? Would he care if someone put a stand in the next tree over and hunted there when he's not there? Would he select a different stand spot if someone was in the area hunting where he put a stand? If no, then what's the problem? If yes, then I think he's in the wrong. Because of one point only...it's PUBLIC land and anyone has the opp to hunt where they want. But it certainly doesn't mean that just because he hung stands on public land that some of you feel that it's OK to just steal them!!!!! Ever hear of working for what you have and not leeching(stealing) from others? If I found a stand on public property, I sure as heck wouldn't take it.....I'd hunt out of it.

To all(and there have been a few) that posted that they'd take stands out of the woods just because it's on public ground.....do you really think your a real man for ripping stuff off? Do you not have one bit of descency or value other people's property? I guess everyone can't be an adult....well I should restate that...have the mentality of an adult.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey rem.
Who made you the public woods tree stand GOD.If you wonder way any body thinks you are a thief its because from your own admission you are.. And like a a bunch of other posters have stated a self proclaimed jerk.
You could not just put your stand in a tree close buy and hunt,NOOOOOOOOOOO!
You would go out of your way to screw a fellow hunter you have never meet .

You are a jerk and any body that would hunt with you is a jerk.

And hopefully that great big glass of woopass is right around the next oak you pass.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would look at Summmit climbing stands. They go up easy.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:17 PM

ORIGINAL: moosehornhunter

Illinois...I know everyone is gonna jump on me for this, but the question was what would I do.
Honestly, I would write a note and securely attach it to one of the steps that are at eye level. The note would say "DANGER! STAND AND SET UP IS UNSAFE!! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CLIMB OR ACCESS THIS STAND UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!!"
I would then climb just about all the way to the last step and cut about 1/3 of the way through it with a hacksaw. That way, when the thief puts his weight on it, he will come crashing down. I also wouldn't care what happened to the S.O.B. either. Thats exactly what I would do.
I used to have a barn that would get broken into from time to time. I called the cops and they basicaly told me that i had to catch them in the act or there was nothing they could do. Thats how i came up with this. I sawed through the second to last rung on the wooden ladder that led to the loft. The next time it got broken into....the guy got a big surprise!! And to boot, I put about a 100 roofing nails where he landed. It worked like a dream, and I didn't get broken into again.
That would be great revenge, however, they could sue you for everything you're worth. And they'd win. There is case law to back it up. Unfortunately, we can't use these tactics without putting ourselves in peril. Best to leave to the authorities.

h/g
Old 03-09-2005, 01:44 PM

ORIGINAL: moosehornhunter

Illinois...I know everyone is gonna jump on me for this, but the question was what would I do.
Honestly, I would write a note and securely attach it to one of the steps that are at eye level. The note would say "DANGER! STAND AND SET UP IS UNSAFE!! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CLIMB OR ACCESS THIS STAND UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!!"
I would then climb just about all the way to the last step and cut about 1/3 of the way through it with a hacksaw. That way, when the thief puts his weight on it, he will come crashing down. I also wouldn't care what happened to the S.O.B. either. Thats exactly what I would do.
I used to have a barn that would get broken into from time to time. I called the cops and they basicaly told me that i had to catch them in the act or there was nothing they could do. Thats how i came up with this. I sawed through the second to last rung on the wooden ladder that led to the loft. The next time it got broken into....the guy got a big surprise!! And to boot, I put about a 100 roofing nails where he landed. It worked like a dream, and I didn't get broken into again.

That would be great revenge, however, they could sue you for everything you're worth. And they'd win. There is case law to back it up. Unfortunately, we can't use these tactics without putting ourselves in peril. Best to leave to the authorities.

It would work, but you must never go back to that stand and definitely don't have your name or identification on it. If the poor bastard broke his back and had to drag himself out, I would be tickled pink. I have no patience for thieves or poachers IMO they should all be shot on sight.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:46 PM

man this topic makes me mad. I hunt private land and got my stand cut down this year. People found out I shot a really nice buck out of the stand so people were sitting in it. My buddy caught a guy and almost got in a fist fight with him. Well the bastard used bolt cutters to take it down. I wanted to line the back of the steps with razor blades so they cut thier hands open when tehy climbed it. Tresspassers who are just jealous of a hunter who puts in his work. The rise in hunters over the years seemed to have a more negative impact on the sport. Not to say we are not getting a lot of good hunters, but it is hard to set up a stand without it getting messed with. Climber for me! O, after 2 stands you shoulda gave that up, I got mine back but I will not put it up again!
Old 03-09-2005, 02:50 PM

To REM and everyone else that thinks it's o.k. to sit in somebody else's stand just cuz they are not in it,
I love your mentality. In fact, I love it alot. Why don't you all leave me your adresses and your wives' names. I have no problem sitting in for all of you when your not around. Maybe next time you go to work, you might come home to find ol' Moose sharing his horn with your old lady. What's good for the goose is good for the gander right?
If it's not yours, don't touch it.....PERIOD! If I caught someone in my stand or my wife, I'd break their face. (And their arms, legs, and whatever else i could get to snap)

Quick Reply: 5 STOLEN STANDS. WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.