Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Does rain hurt rifle?

Old 01-08-2002, 07:03 AM

Default Does rain hurt rifle?

I hunt with a Remington Model 700 ADL .3006 Bolt--Synthetic Stock. can I sit in the rain with it exposed? Oh yeah, how about my leupold scope?
If it is ok, what should I do afterwards to prevent rust?
Old 01-08-2002, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Does rain hurt rifle?

Make sure everything is dry, even the underside of the barrel that is covered by the stock, then use a light coat of a rust preventative oil like CLP or Sheath or Rem Oil. Dry your scope off.
Old 01-08-2002, 08:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Unless the gun is a piece of junk you can hunt in any weather as long as you have the gun clean and oiled before you go and you dry it, clean it, and oil it after your finished, I have several guns that have seen a lot of rain and some snow and they are just fine, I would imagine the scope being a good one will have no problems either.

The Tazman
Old 01-08-2002, 08:44 AM
Spike

HHaisten - kind of funny - I have the same exact rifle topped with a Leupold myself...
I for one have had trouble keeping rust off of my ADL. I have always kept it oiled and oil it regularly during hunting season and after sitting in the rain a couple times this past season I saw rust spots popping up, which I immediately oiled again when I got home. I don't know if it's bad blueing on my gun or the fact that the gun gets trudged through so many sticks, leaves, dirt ect. that it has worn the bluing out or what. I've only hunted with it 3 years and I'll probably have to reblue it within 2 years or so. I try to take good care of my rifle but I'm rough on it, it has to go where I go which is often over logs, through creeks, clearcuts, briars etc. As long as it keeps shooting like a dream, and that Leupold stays on zero like it always has, I ain't going to worry about the outer surface rust that keeps popping up a whole awful lot. Like I said, I oil it very well, but I am having problems with mine still... So maybe someone else can fill us in on this.... Probably a good subject for the shooting forum.
Old 01-08-2002, 08:56 AM
Spike

HHaisten, I posted a message in the Guns forum about my rifle titled "Outer surface rust on rifle". So stay tuned to that thread - I'm sure someone will help out.
Old 01-08-2002, 09:08 AM

I have a synthetic ruger with stainless steel barrel and its not supposed to rust or nething i dont think...i havent had any rust on any part of the gun in 3 1/2 years...and before i bought mine i would borrow one just like it to deer hunt with and it never rusted either...ive hunter lots of rain and snow with that model and not a speck of rust shows up..just my two cents
Old 01-08-2002, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always try and keep my action covered during the rain.When I return to camp I dry it then wipe it down with a sheep skin saturated with RIG.On occasions I'll take WD40 with the tube and spray between the stock and barrel.So far I haven't found any rust.If you have a quality scope you shouldn't have any problems. Just dry it when drying your rifle.Ruger Redhawk
Old 01-08-2002, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

Post in guns forum