Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Would you shoot a tresspassing dog? >

Would you shoot a tresspassing dog?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Would you shoot a tresspassing dog?

Old 02-24-2005, 06:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Would you shoot a tresspassing dog?

Alot of the folks that have commented haven't even stayed with the scenario that was first forth by KSHUNTER.

Hunters without permission will let their trained dogs out on the road and then let them run a piece of property out. These dogs are primarily used for 2 reasons, running deer out of a neighboring property, or to hunt and run the coyotes down until the dog catches them and kills them. And even though the dog owners intentionally let the dogs out, they are not breaking any laws, since the law refers to "persons tresspassing".
He's not talking about someones dog wandering on your property by accident.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Charlie, you have a good point. The dog owners do this repeditavely and intentionally, and the owners never(personally) tresspass, they just stay on the road. And these owners aren't the smartest guys on the block if you know what I mean. Discussing the problem with them does nothing but create more problems, since they don't have any respect for the landowner.

We're talking about people who let their dogs run coyotes down until they can't run anymore, use less than lethal breeds of dogs(so they can gang up and have a fair fight), and leave the coyote chewed in pieces. And the owner doesn't even get to see what the dog did, except for it's battle scars, once it comes back. It's all about the bragging rights, for these groups.

I'm not sure what to call it...
Old 02-24-2005, 01:26 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm not sure what to call it...
I'd call it grounds for calling the sheriff .
If that doesn't work then the 10-22 with a fifty round double stack usually solves the problem .

Sorry if anybody doesn't like my choices , but I'd bet that most of the abstainers don't live in a rural area . Until you've been run up a tree by a baying pack of feral dogs you don't know what it's like and will never understand . Fluffy and his buddies aren't near as cute when you're about to become their next meal . Your POV changes dramatically once you've become the prey , try it sometime , you won't like it .
Old 02-24-2005, 01:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm with Kevin. Bury them where they lay or let the fox and yotes take care of them.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

The reason I got on you? The rest would say they might do it or did do it or last resort. Which Is understandable as I have been there, but definatley didn't get any pleasure from it. They didn't seem to get any joy out of it which is fairly normal behavior, I believe for most humans. I have a feeling alot of them would confront the people and act like a man about it first and be brave. But there's a small bunch I bet that are wierdo's that get off on it and post things like the three S's and put LOL on the end of it.
What in the hell are you callin me a weirdo for? mine was a last resort i went to the owner of the dogs MANY times before i actually did it. and i sure as hell dont get joy out of it you think i like killing dogs? no. that lol thing wasnt meant to be funny sorry if you took it the wrong way but after warning the owners numerous times you think they would get the point. i just ended the problem...
Old 02-24-2005, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

if it's trespassing on my property without tags and chasing game u better bet it's fair game. It's the owners responbility to keep track of his animal!
Old 02-24-2005, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

bang
Old 02-24-2005, 06:41 PM
Typical Buck

True story.

One cattle farmer + one dope head moves to the country.

Dope head has dogs.

Dope head let's his dogs run loose.

Dope head's dogs chase cattle.

One warning.

Dope head's dogs kill chickens.

Two wanings.

Dope heads dogs kill one duck, rest of chickens and chase cattle.

Three warnings and dope head denies they are his dogs. "They wouldn't do a thing like that."

One dog disappears.

Cattle farmer gets new chickens and cattle start dropping calves.

Dogs chasing calves and cattle.

Fourth warning.

'nother dog disappears.

Dope head gets new dogs.

More chickens killed.

Fifth warning.

CO and the county Sherriff both say you've got the right to shoot dogs running loose.

Rest of the chickens get killed.

Farmer sets the MT chicken coop door so it can't be opened from inside.

Comes out in the morning and all the dope heads dogs are trapped in the chicken coop.

Takes a picture of them in the chicken coop and then shoots them all.

Call the dope head and tell him to come get his dogs.

No more problems.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:08 PM
Fork Horn

Two weekends ago there was a pitbull running around and it managed to take down a doe fawn in the field down the road from my house [:@]. I wasn't home at the time but my dad said that the dog had a hold of the deers throat and was shaking it like crazy and the deer was bleating like crazy the whole time. My uncle called the game warden and was told to go and finish off the deer but don't shoot the dog. He killed the deer and chased the dog away. That mutt is pretty lucky that I wasn't home because I would have had no problem going down and slamming his mangy butt with a couple of 12-gauge brenekee slugs. I know one thing...if he shows up here again and he'll never leave !
Old 02-24-2005, 08:46 PM

I've lived in the far north (where running dogs would be shot on sight), and the deep south (where you yourself would be shot if you were to shoot the dog lol). I suppose a man's just got to know his limitations/convictions...

Quick Reply: Would you shoot a tresspassing dog?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.