Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Would you shoot a tresspassing dog? >

Would you shoot a tresspassing dog?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Would you shoot a tresspassing dog?

Old 02-23-2005, 05:55 PM

Default RE: Would you shoot a tresspassing dog?

My dog is my best friend and I love her but she's an animal. I would expect her to be shot if I didn't control her.

I would have a very difficult time shooting a dog, but I would never say never. If I had tried other avenues and it didn't stop, then I would take the best shot I could so the dog doesn't suffer.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:08 PM
Fork Horn

Trap the dogs on your place. Contact the game warden or the police. Contact you legislatures about changing the laws. Use your game cameras to get pictures of them on your property. Trap the dogs take them to the pound and make the owners have to pay to get them back. But do not punish the dogs for doing what there ignorent owners trained them to do. Now that being said if a dog growls at you not just barks then by all means take care of it.
I have a young dog that I take down to my in-laws to play with there pup. They go down to the creek on there land to play but on occasion they will get to playing and chasing each other and end up down the creek on a neighbors property. They both have collars and both have there tags which is all that is required in my area. I have already spoken to the new owners and have told him to keep an eye out for them, if they are a problem then I hope he will tell me like he said and not do like most of you have said " SHOOT ON SIGHT".
Use a little comon sense, I have a neighbor across from were I hunt that has rabbit dogs. These dogs are like Hudini they are allways getting out of there fence. When they do come over they allways run rabbits, yes the deer move but to just get out of the way until they pass. If I was like most of you then All of these dogs would be in the ground somewere. We have spoken to the land owner and I can say he has done most everthing shy of keeping them on chains to keep them up. (Which I think is Inhumane) We understand this and just work with him when they get out, but by no means do we take the ultimate judgement out on the dogs.
Just my 2
Old 02-23-2005, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Shoot, Shovel, Shut up lol
bwhunter, your a real big man. I bet you are real proud of yourself.
You know what i was just posting my opinoin not trying to start something and thats seriously immature to try and start something based on my own opinoin. If you read alot of people are agreeing on shooting the dogs also so why just pick me? You have your opinoin i have mine. lets leave it at that.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:24 PM

I put up with it for years.No more.They come around here,their fertilizer.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:45 PM

My youngest was here for a year after my heart attack. He took up breeding wolves. When he left three of the biggest stayed behind. They have a pretty low tolerance for dog and coyotes. One neighbor was complainin' that his fiest was all cut up. He clamied the blood on the smallest wolf was all his dog's. He said he'd shoot her if it happened again. I called her up, and showed him the cuts she had, then told him bullets travel both ways and we ought to act like humans living in the 21 Century not the 19th. Ain't seen him nor his feist since.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:09 PM

i raise labs.and have raised hunting dogs before,i wouldn't shoot the dog, its not his fault, i would catch the dog and dispose of the collar and keep the dog,after the dog owner didn't correct the problem after the first offense
Old 02-23-2005, 10:47 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL:
There is nothing worse than getting ready to hunt in the afternoon, and getting in your stand....and hearing them drop off the dogs...it ruins still hunting for several days....

About 3 years ago my nephew had cancer...my brother had to go to the hospital for a few days, as my nephew was getting therapy....Those B@stards hunted his land every day...they had heard that he would be in the hospital with his son....There is nothing lower than that...

We have had them drive around gates, through crops, tear up farm paths with there 4wds...etc...They have no respect for anothers property...

I've never shot a dog in my life...and knowing its a felony...and would be hard to get by with, with the tracking collars, don't think it would be worth it....I have shot several deer...that their dogs were chasing....and got the word out at the local country store that they sure did push a nice buck by me that I killed...(not)....Now that we have coyotes in NC...I'm thinking it might be time to learn how is the best way to set traps or poison.....
Sure hope these good old boys deer dogs don't get into...................
Sounds like you need a couple pit bulls.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've dealt with more than my fair share of dogs. Most of the time, they are strays that people think they'll just dump out in the middle of nowhere. Since I live in the middle of nowhere, I guess I get all of them. The ones I could catch I took to the pound in the nearest city. But I think a lot of them were probably abused by their owners and are afraid of people, so they won't let me catch them. Then it makes me wonder what's better: letting them starve or putting them out of their misery. I'd rather be put out of my misery than starve, so I base my decision on that.

There are a few dogs that wonder on our property and I can locate the owners. I've found a couple of dogs that the owners were glad to get back, mainly bird dogs that wandered off and got lost. The owners came and picked them up and I never saw the dogs again. Two of our neighbors have dogs that wander across our property frequently, but they are nice dogs and I haven't seen them cause any problems, so I really don't care. But not every neighbor I've ever had has always had nice dogs. If they ever start to act aggressive, towards myself, my pets, or livestock, they're dispatched immediately. Dealt with this problem a couple of times. Most of the time I had warned the owner that their dog was becoming a problem. I was brushed off most of the time, told to %@&* off once. I took what I felt were appropriate measures against the dog(s), and on the latter had to resist the urge to do the same to owner.[:@] On one occaision, there were eight dogs running in a pack, that I believe chased cows through a fence. I saw where the cows had gathered in a corner the night before and eventually spooked through the fence. Some of them had some nasty cuts. The next day, I saw the dogs coming along the same path to the same spot. Then they saw the cows in the wheat field and started heading their way. Two german shepard type crosses, a rotweiler cross, and some smaller dogs. I was able to take out the biggest three before they could run back into the brush. I had never seen anything like it, and haven't ever seen it again.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Only as a last resort.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:31 AM
bigcountry

seriously immature to try and start something based on my own opinoin.
Goodness, your so right. It so strange to comment on a post on what one believes in a forum. What a wierd concept. A forum, a place to exchange beliefs and ideals. Must be immature.

The reason I got on you? The rest would say they might do it or did do it or last resort. Which Is understandable as I have been there, but definatley didn't get any pleasure from it. They didn't seem to get any joy out of it which is fairly normal behavior, I believe for most humans. I have a feeling alot of them would confront the people and act like a man about it first and be brave. But there's a small bunch I bet that are wierdo's that get off on it and post things like the three S's and put LOL on the end of it.

Quick Reply: Would you shoot a tresspassing dog?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.